1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to use the peavey mentor

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by spacerust, Jan 9, 2012.

1. spacerust

spacerust

Feb 9, 2010
    South Texas
    Ok, I have a peavey mentor and a dbx 231 dual equalizer. Right now I am using one channel to the mains and one channel to the monitor. Can I use the mentor the same way channel 1 for the mains and channel 2 for the monitors? Or do I use the eq and mentor for the mains and use the mixer onboard 7 band eq for the monitors? Just want to us it to its full potential.

2. Go with your 1st option - FOH through 1 and Mons through 2. 7 bands is pretty much useless as anything but tone shaping anyway (can you assign it to an individual channel on your board?). "Usually" it's best to run live PA mono, because once you start panning things hard to left and right, your audience misses out unless they're sitting dead center. Keep your pans at 12 o'clock and run out of one side of your mains, or use mono/sum if you have it.

BTW, congrats on scoring the Mentor. They're scarce, and being digital they actually work even better than the already-excellent FLS built into the PV EQs (and waaaaaaaaay better than the reverse-engineered ART and B*******r copycats). You can search the LAB and prosoundweb forums for more on the Mentor, including how Marty McCann fought the guys in suits to keep it in production (rebadged under the more rider-friendly Crest brand). Good luck!

3. spacerust

spacerust

Feb 9, 2010
    South Texas
    I didnt realize how scarce they were either but I found a guy willing to let it go. I dont know how much they are worth but I paid 120 for it. Thanks for the info.