Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how would i go about ..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bigwig, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    learning to take guitars, basses, pedals and amps apart...how the wiring in them work...how to customize or add on im my own creative way.
    surely people that gut their basses and turn them into their dream insturment (all by themselves) learnt how to do so from someone...or somewhere..

i love playing bass..and im still trying to find my sound. but i am starting to become very interested in the actually engineering of the instrument..not only the sound.

any advice on where i can learn about this kind of stuff?
    workshops? classes? books?

2. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    ..bump..

3. Reptillian_Bass

Reptillian_Bass

Sep 5, 2004
    My Room
    Google it?

4. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    i was just asking here..because so many people on this site can take apart their equipment and know more or less how it works..and customize/change it.
    for example...i know some poeple installed push/pull pots for their own 's1' pickup configurating system..which i wud have no idea how to even start..

5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'm a 3rd year electronics student. I think if you read and asked around you would definitely be able to mess with passive basses and analog pedals by simply playing around with different value components. I know there are books on the net about working on/modifying guitars/amps, but I think they assume you have a certain level of electronics expertise.

As for amps and active basses----Forget about it! Sorry. It's especially a safety issue with amps, as even unplugged the capacitors in amps can store their charge for days (maybe even weeks) and it might be enough to kill you. .1 of an amp can kill you.

Hope this helped. :bassist:

PS. If you're still young maybe you'd like technical college?

6. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    well im actually entering university next year..to get into engineering..their civil...structurual..or eletrical.
    so im not sure that going to college for it right now would be good for me..but i can always attend that later..after university.
    thanks alot.