how's the peavey minimax?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bushy, Apr 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bushy

bushy

Mar 8, 2018
    been eyeing it lately. I think it will go well with the Peavey 410 Headliner or the 210. Could it actually push all 400 W on the Peavey Headliner 210? I bet it can push all 500 W on the 410 (since the 410 is 800 W).

2. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

You will need a 4 ohm cab in order to get all 500 watts from the amp. If you have an 8 ohm cab, best it can do is around 200-250 watts.

3. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. In Memoriam

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I had the MiniMax for a while and sort of liked it. I was expecting the traditional growly 80's Peavey sound I was used to. But according to Bbbybld Peavey decided to change out the sound and make it more "modern" sounding. In the process the poor amp lost its character. There are a bunch of TB'ers who own the MiniMax and love it. I also ended sending it back because it had a very loud fan, and I bought it for practice in a small house. It was very heavy for the size, actually heavier than my GK MB500, and I liked the tone on the MB500 more-- it was more traditional like the Peavey sound of the 80's I love.

Having said that, I think they fixed the fan issue and I'm tempted to try it again. I just bought a small Peavey speaker cube and it sounds incredible for the size, and the quality is impeccable. My vote-- give it a try. Try it in the store, or buy one online with a return guarantee policy. It certainly is a lot of bang for the buck.

4. The amp hasn't been changed, tonally, since release so it's character is what it is. What you expected or wanted from it may have been wishful thinking/hoping.

sideFX likes this.
  5. bushy

bushy

Mar 8, 2018
    Is it really an old amp that originated in the 80's?

6. bushy

bushy

Mar 8, 2018
    for the 210, right? for the 410 Headliner it's an 800 W cab 1600 W "peak".

7. mmbongo

The power handling of the cab has nothing to do with it.

Iristone and Balog like this.
  8. bushy

bushy

Mar 8, 2018
    I see. So any head can work with any cab regardless of the ohm rating of the cab? There was a quote from Peavey's Headliner cabs that combining both their 8 ohm cabs (410 with the 210) turns them to 4 ohm, but only 8 ohm if I were to only use the 410 or the 210 separately or individually.

9. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    According to BobbyBld the 900 watt 212 is only good for about 600 and the 800 watt 410 only 350-400 RMS.

10. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    I love mine. I used it last weekend. I have no issues with reaching any volume I need.

11. mmbongo

For the most part yes, but saying 'any cab' can work with 'any amp' is probably not a wise assumption to make.

In this case, the MiniMax will drive a 4 ohm load, or an 8 ohm load. So it will drive any number of cabinets as long as the resulting load is 4 ohms or 8 ohms.

12. bushy

bushy

Mar 8, 2018
    What happens if I use two 410's of the Peavey Headliner? Would that be 4 ohm? Could the Minimax handle both 410 cabs?

13. mmbongo

As long as each cab is 8 ohms, it will be fine. Both 8 ohm cabs in parallel would be 4 ohms.

GuitarRebel and bushy like this.
  14. NecroticNoise

NecroticNoise

May 6, 2018
    Acheron
    I use mine with a 600watt rms Marshall 410 @4ohm and it loves it, takes pedals incredibly well one of my favourite amps. Has great tone I know people complain about the fan but to u won't notice when playing if u record same deal or if your super worried use the di

bushy likes this.
  15. bushy

bushy

Mar 8, 2018
    Is that true with any 8 ohm cabs regardless of how many speakers it has? Let's say if I stack two 210 8 ohm cabs in parallel, that becomes 4 ohms? When you say parallel does that mean side by side parallel or on top of each other?

16. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Parallel refers to how the cabs are connected. It is possible to wire a pair of cabs in series then two 8 ohm cabs would be 16 ohms. Normal connections from amp to speaker put them in parallel.

17. bushy

bushy

Mar 8, 2018
    That's good to know but are you saying some amps are sometimes funny when using a bass effect pedal running through it? I sometimes wonder if I should just get a full range flat response (FRFR) speakers since those things will pretty much take anything in as I am more of a bass and guitar synth effect pedal kind of person. I own a BOSS SY-300 guitar synthesizer pedal, which can be used for bass guitar as well.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Possible, but not without a special cable or box. It can't be done with ordinary speaker cables. For the OP - "daisy chaining" cabs does not put them in series. It is electrically equivalent to running each cab from its own output on the amp.

19. bushy

bushy

Mar 8, 2018
    is what you're saying then totaling four 210 cabs connected with each other to be 16 ohms? I'm confused now.

So simply connecting a pair of 210 8 ohm cabs makes them 4 ohms, doesn't matter how they are stacked together? I thought parallel meant they needed to be stacked together either side by side or on top of one another? Are you saying parallel in terms of connecting cabs has nothing to do with that at all? So I can actually have a pair of 210s each placed far right and far left?

20. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    In this case "parallel" is an electrical term...not a reference to physical placement of the cabinets.

bushy likes this.