Hows your schools equipment?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Suckbird, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    How is a schools musical setup supposed to be like?
    And how's your schools setup(i know most of you work but..)

Anyway, my schools equipment: 1 electric guitar pack for around 100-150$(and i live in europe) sounds like ****,
    a bunch of cheap acoustic guitar (none in tune, gets out of tune after 10min), a cheap bass guitar pack (sounds bad too) and no leftys or drums.

What you think? Good setup? OMG...
  2. my old high school had a mim p-bass from the 80's until that got stolen...i was once rummaging around in the instrument room and i found an old tiesco bass that i took home and fixed up to working condition, but that got stolen as well...i also found an electric guitar, that got stolen as well...i usually just used my bass because it was better than anything the school had...
  3. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    our electric bass is shocking but the amp we have is pretty good and 1 of the 2 double basses is wicked! i can actualy play quicker on that double bass then on any bass ive played so far.
  4. trog

Nov 8, 2003
    The local school here is pretty small. Has a few cheapo Fender clones and a pretty good Yamaha RBX (170?). Runs them through a few Peavey TKO/TNT combos.
  5. When I was in high school, they had some really old/rusty beater MiM Jazz bass. For an amp, they had a tiltback 15" powered PA speaker cab and an external Fishman preamp. They had two bassamps as well, a Peavy microbass, which sucked, and an old Peavy with a 15", but It would cut on and off.

I used my own stuff.
  6. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I use my spector 5 string, and my friends bass amp because he leaves it there and has it a different period than me
  7. I knew a guy with a 64 Jazz. The story goes... He got it from a guy who got it from a school when the school decided to get rid of some of the old stuff.

However credible the story is- it was a hella bass!
  8. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    My high school had a Peavey Forum AX... but it was broken during all 4 years that I was there. Every year I begged the musical director to get it fixed.
    The amp that I played out of was a Peavey TNT115... not bad at all.

But, as for the bass guitars, I always brought my own.
  9. How bout non-existent? Our high school had no music program. We had a bass drum, snare, and maybe a high hat or something, broken and basically in storage in the boiler room. We had a piano which seems to work, but is out of tune and is missing the black keys, so no sharps or flats. My college doesn't have a music program but it does have a band and I'm sure it has some good equpment. Better than my high school.
  10. My school has a bunch of guitars and amps. For PA system, they have a powered mixer with two 15" cabinets that they mounted on a custom made cart (Made by the band parents) with the keyboard ontop. They've got a bunch of a Laney amps for the guitars, and an 100 watt Kustom bass amp. For basses, they have a standup, a pink peavey something, and a really nice looking 5 string ibanez bass. They also have an ibanez artcore hollow-body guitar. They've also got an old Peavey PA system in store and an ancient keyboard with a builit in cabinet. My schools equipment is pretty good.
  11. My school has A Yahmaha RBX170, with 2 broken pots, one rusty string, one.. terrible string, and two originals (which must be at least 5 years old; it's been the same strings i started there!). However, it's a pretty decent bass! A set up, and new strings at least, it'd be awesome!

Laney keyboard amp... For bass, Keys and guitar :eyebrow:.

Crap load of Casio synths for in class education. A few decent Rolland synths for doing recording and midi sequencing.

The PA system is not part of the music dept, but we are using it more and more due to my interest in playing at our school.. ;)

For that, theres a few low end AKG mics, a 350 monitor power amp (***.) 2 10" monitors, 2x1x15s, 2x1x18 with a 1200 watt power amp for those. Blah, the PA system is god aweful.

Drums; a priemere set that I actually quite like - needs new cymbols! theres also a pretty cool yahmaha kit, with Zildijians. yummy. :hyper:

However, the program it's self isnt anything wonderful. The bass teacher is a great guy, and an awesome bassist at that - but hes more into what you wanna do; ie if you bring along music, he'll help you learn in time, etc, and help with technique etc. He's a huge book of theory if you ask... eep!

Thew new dept head teacher is a great guy! He's completly into encouraging all types of music, and more importantly, he doesnt care that some parents will be complaing about having rock music at the christmas concert. awesome. :)
  12. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    My school had a Slammer P-bass and a Kustom bass head with a Randall 2x15. Some idiot drummer busted the conest of the 2x15 with the drum stick. That cab was the only nice thing we had.
  13. the_vza1

Jun 15, 2004
    soundboard, pa, piano

no more instruments :bawl:
  14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Well... NO guitars or basses...

1 full sized keyboards, one really nice synth... a roland amp for the keyboards/guitar

We have 3 carvin 1x15 PA cabs... 350w, self amped... but they aren't loud enough if you just plug a bass in unless your bass is active...

So, me and and antonio trade off with his TKO at school, and my TNT at school.

We have a really nice sound system... 4000w (2 carvin dcm 2000's) 2 of these and 2 of these

plus a 32 chanell mixer... yada yada...

so, nice BIG stuff for marching band/winter drumline... no nice small stuff for jazz band/concert bands
  15. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    My school has a whole recording studio with REAL nice equipment in there. Along with a whole lab with alesis QS7s at everystations,along with mac G3s. We've got all great instruments and amps, TONS of synths (even some old monophonic synths, and evena wind synth) the only thing we don't have is a good electric bass. We have some real cheap old ibanez soundgear setup terribly. Figures huh?
  16. Ibanez SR 200's 2 of them I think

I wasn't in the music class, but I was free to run aroun din there when I wanted.
  17. drums/guitar/keyboard decent instruments....

....But the bass!, The amp is alright but the guitar itself-is a sunburst cheapo number that makes me feel like I'm playing
    country music, two of the tuning pegs are broken, and the pick ups have faulty wiring meaning you have to physically hit it to keep the thing running!
  18. The Apm is great, its a Peavey half stack from the 70's. Proboly bought new in the 70's. The Basses are a MIM Jazz Bass which is in desperate need of new strings and a Lotus P/J Bass proboly also from the 70's. The Band teacher/Jazz Band Teacher is totally awesome and thinking about getting a ampeg svt stack. Also a bunch of upright pianos, a synth and a amp for the synth(also peavey). And 4 Nice upright Basses that i sneak in and play :ninja: . (their for orchestra)
  19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Wow, reading this I feel really, REALLY lucky.

We've got a FULL compliment of horns, woodwinds, and low brass (right down to several french horns and a couple bass clarinets).
    Basses: A parts bass made with killer EMG pickups and a nice bridge, an Ovation A/E 4 string, and a chinese upright with a pickup.
    Guitars: A Yamaha pacifica, an acoustic from Martin's version of Squier, and about 25 cheap classical guitars.
    Keys: Electric piano, a couple keyboards, several acoustic pianos.
    Drums: All manner of drums, key sets being -- 2 sets of Yamaha Stage Custom Standards with enough good quality Zildjian and Sabian cymbals for two full sets, one black set of unkown origins. 2 quality snares (one rebuilt by my favourite drummer), about 20 random snares, several MASSIVE bass drums, and all manner of random small percussive instruments. Several xylophones and vibes.
    Instrument amplification: 2 Fender DSP guitar amps, a frontman bass amp, Ampeg VB4 all tube head (unknown date, but vintage), Traynor YBA-1 all tube head (1971), matching Traynor 2x15 cab, Peavey keyboard amp.
    PA setup: Small powered Peavey 6 channel mixer, 36 channel Mackie mixer, 500 watt (each side, stereo) Peavey power amp, Peavey Q110 rackmount equalizer, 4 Peavey 1x15 cabs (with tweeters), 2 Yamaha 10" cabs, and 4 Peavey 12" monitors.
    Recording setup: Soundcraft 8 channel mixer (drums into here, submixed into 4 channels that go into...), Behringer 12 channel mixer, Delta 10/10, somekinda Headphone amp, a microphone preamp, several SM58's, Beta 58, 1 SM57 (belonging to the school), 4 SM57's (on loan), 3 AKG C1000S condensers, several old ibanez mics, Sennheiser 609-A guitar mic, 2 overhead mics of some sort, and a Shure kick drum mic. Oh, and a piece of garbage Apex condenser.

If we want to get into lights, I can also rattle off a complete inventory of that, too, but...I think we're just sticking to sound here.