1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hum from Multi-FX Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by honestjohnny, Apr 1, 2009.

1. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    Apologies, I know there are a ton of threads on this, but may contain conflicting and partial information. I use a single multi-FX pedal (Zoom 506) into a powered PA cab (Carvin LSx1503A), both are plugged into a standard power strip. I get hum when I use the pedal with the AC adapter (One Spot), but not with the battery. So here is the question as specific as I can make them.

Is there some way I can eliminate the hum while still using the AC adapter, such as the Ebtech Hum X or removing the shield from the AC adapter (please give specific instructions or links to same if it requires wiring/soldering)?

@ The Moderator: Could you please place a sticky re: Ground Loops and Hum versus Single Coil Pickup Hum versus whatever. This would save a lot of time and help the autodidacts like myself.

2. sean.1986

sean.1986

Feb 24, 2009
    Essex, England
    The hum is probably the transformer. There's an Electro Harmonix pedal out that eliminates hum.

3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Try another power supply if you can before trying noise supressors. My Zoom B2 was fine on the original power supply that came with it, but hummed like a mofo on my 9v daisy chain.

4. Put jump leads from something metal on your amp, to something (earthed) metal where your playin, it wont hum with your power adapter then.

or just get the amp n cab n everythin earthed propper...