humidifier problem

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Dave Irwin, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Hopefully this fits well enough as a maintenance/health issue...

I recently had a furnace humidifier installed in order to keep the bass happy by maintaining 43+ % humidity.
    Although the unit should be more than sufficient for my size home, I can't get it above 35% at 20 degrees F (outside)

I've had the unit checked and it seems to be fine. The only other options I'm aware of is:

1. re-wire so water flows to the filter wether the furnace is heating or not (I'm already running the fan constantly)

2. Have fresh air pumped in to feed the humidifier (this is required by code in some areas but not mine.)

Anyone know if either option will help? Or other things to check?

Currently using a portable to suppliment furnace unit until this is resolved.

2. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    You really need to talk to an HVAC guy, but I'm going to venture a guess: Your heater is oversized for your house and climate, and and isn't running long enough to properly humidify the air. Ideally a heater should run almost continuously in the coldest weather.

Continuous water flow probably won't help, as you really need hot air to vaporize the water and carry it. Short of adding a modern high-end heater with a variable burner, you might just want to add a room humidifier.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    In reality, if you can maintain a solid 35% in the house, your bass is probably going to be fine. If you are genuinely concerned, the best bet is to just keep running the portable in the room where the bass is kept.
  4. Thanks but the 35% isnt tht solid and I expect it to drop as temps decrease. The portable is a possibility but I'd love to avoid it...
  5. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    ...just another thought about humidifiers built in-line with your HVAC -- mold. I've seen some absolutely yucky ones that folks haven't kept properly clean. Some of the old units are almost impossible to keep clean. So, while they're humidifying they're also broadcasting nasty mold stuff all over the place...
  6. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    And from someone who used to be involved in training mold remediators, you DON'T want to be breathing that stuff in. Science hasn't caught up to anecdotal evidence, but frankly I've seen too much anecdotal evidence that mold can harm your health to dismiss it.
  7. Don't think there is a mold problem as it is a 3 mo old unit and it looks clean.

I have discontined use of the portable unit in favor of dampits until it can be cleaned. By the way, anyone describe the proper cleaning procedure for a portable humidifier?

8. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Holmes has manuals for all their humidifiers on their site. I have both cold and warm mist units from them; their instructions are generic enough to apply to pretty much any unit.
  9. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    35% is a perfectly acceptable humidity during the nasty parts of winter. You don't want to keep you place drastically different than what is outside. However, below 30% and you are really risking it...

By the way, Dave, did y'all in Columbus get hit hard with the snow like we did?
  10. Bob, thanks for your reply, I'll check out the manuals.

Nick, We just got our AC back last night after being downfor the most part of 3 days. Definitely a memorable Christmas but no complaints in light of the catastrophy in Malaysia.
    Not that much snow but the weight of the ice has caused alot of problems including the loss of AC for most of the area.

The humidity's been hovering between 33 and 36 over night (7 degrees F) and the bass has been drinking 2 dampits (wrung to the point that they won't drip) each night.

At this point, having the humidifier re-wired so it receives water even when the furnace is not on seems the only available solution. We'll see.....