HX Stomp with Voodoo Lab PPX4 in 2 scenarios

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lemarcon, Oct 20, 2022.

1. Lemarcon

Lemarcon

Mar 2, 2013
    I have a Pedalboard powered by a Voodoo Lab PP2+. Now I bought an HX Stomp, a dual footswitch and a small pedal board. My intention is to use this small board + the HX + the footswitch in two different scenarios: as a portable setup and connected to the bigger Pedalboard (the one powered with the PP2+).

I researched it and figured the PP4X would be a perfect fit for me, specially because of its small size. So I have some questions regarding it:

1. Would the PP4X manage to power the HX Stomp by using a PPHX current doubler cable on two of the PP4X DC outs?
    2. Would I be able to use the PP4X in both scenarios: straight on a wall AC 110 V socket and connected to the auxiliary AC outlet at the back of my PP2+?
    3. And since I’d eventually also like to have a DI (e.g. Sansamp BDDI, Aguilar Tone Hammer…) in the small Pedalboard, would it be possible to - on top of it all - connect this DI to one of the 2 remaining DC outs, once the HX Stomp would be using “only” 80 to 90% of the PP4X’s overall available current?

Thanks!

2. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth Nothing to fret over. Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    1. Should work just fine
    2. The Auxiliary socket on the Pedal Power II+, to my understanding, will power up to 200 watts, so the Pedal Power X4 should easily be powered.
    3. As long as you don’t exceed your maximum draw, you’ll be fine. Something analogue without a headphone amp should generally have a pretty low power draw, but just check the numbers before purchasing.

Lemarcon likes this.
  3. Lemarcon

Lemarcon

Mar 2, 2013
    Awesome! Thanks for the reply! :thumbsup:

Still about the third question:
    Since the current draw for the HX stomp will be 900mA max. Can I connect either one of these?

- a Sansamp BDDI (6mA) on one of the remaining DC outs the PP4X; or
    - a Aguilar Tone Hammer (7mA) on the two remaining DC outs of the PPX4, with the help of a voltage doubler cable (since it's an 18V preamp)?

I'm just double checking it, because I think I read somewhere that these current and voltage doubler cables can reduce the overall amount of available current of the power supply. I'm sorry if it's a dumb question. :facepalm::)

Thanks again!:thumbsup::bassist:

4. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth Nothing to fret over. Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    The Sansamp should be no problem. Combining the output voltage of the other two taps to power the Tone Hammer creates a single 18v output with the current of one tap (500 ma in this instance), but since it only requires 7 ma, you should still be fine.

Lemarcon likes this.
  5. Lemarcon

Lemarcon

Mar 2, 2013
    Cool! Thanks!