i am confused majorly

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by dustklose, Mar 31, 2005.

1. dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    ok...i have a bunch of questions...but i'm not sure if i'm in the right place....

1. What do i all need to start recording...i have 1 bassist, 2 guitars, 1 drummer 2-3 mics i need something i can use...what is out there for around 700-800$...what do i need to buy beside a mixer...and what is a good mixer

2. Pa System.....i know absolutely nothing about them...is this the right place to talk about them???
  2. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    What kind of recording are you looking to do? Not what kind of music, but are you recording a demo to get gigs? Something to hear how the band is progressing? You could always buy a 4 or 8 track. I think there are some multitrackers out there that burn right to cd as well, may be worth checking out. You may want to ask some more specific questions, because the answers will really depend on what you are doing, and what your budget is...
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Exaclty. --to just listen to rehearsal I'd just buy a minidisk. If you want cd quality (I'm ignoring recording know how here) and you have a good computer I'd go with a PCI solution. If you can't or don't want to use your computer there are many stand alone options.
  4. dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    i'm looking for a recording system that i can use to burn cd's onto so i can use them to try to get a gig! if i buy a mixer can that be used for stage use also?
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

Do you want to use your computer or not?

Maybe you want one of the tascam or Roland stand alone units, 8 tracks at one, can burn to cd etc. Maybe you want a mixer and something to record to your computer.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you want to record up to 8 tracks at a time, I recommend the Boss BR1600 CD. It has eight XLR inputs, a 40 gig hard drive, tons of guitar and vocal effects that you can apply after recording, channel parametric EQ, pitch correction, harmonizer, and tools for final mixdown. It has a total of 16 tracks, each with 8 virtual tracks. And, you don't need no stinking computer to do a full mixdown and record to CD. It's a stand-alone unit.

About $1300 at a GC near you.

Boss BR-1600 CD

7. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland

$799 16 tracks, onboard CD burner, on board effects, quite easy to pick up, plays well with other gear if you chose to do mixing/processing/mastering elsewhere. Also made much better than most of the DMTs in this price range, mine has taken a lot of abuse over the years and still works fine (though its been relegated to recording riffs at practice and occasionally loaning to friends since I got the G5).

I know all this because I have its little brother the VF16 which is identical except for the CD burner.