1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I am confused with the strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RDArtist, Apr 19, 2011.

1. RDArtist

RDArtist

Apr 12, 2011
    I am newie and I received a recomendation for my RD Artist Bass: Rotosound Swing strings. I found many differents models of rotosounds strings so and I am confused now.

Can you help me with the exactly string model number? I do not want to buy the wrong string.... Thanks

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I have used Swing 66's for years. The differences are in the gauges of the strings.
    Rotosound makes excellent strings, but are by no means the only choice.

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

As a newbie, that recommendation - presumably free - was worth every penny it cost you. At this point, there is NO "wrong string" or "right string" for you.

The right strings for the next guy may be the wrong strings for you.

Pay attention to the virtues of strings mentioned in this thread, then take your best guess. Over a span of a few years, you are likely to change strings a few times to find a type that fits you.

Personally, I prefer flatwounds to roundwounds - they're easier on my fingers and they don't have the bright, zingy sound of rounds. My preferred strings are Labella Deep Talkin' flats, with D'Addario Chromes acting as my #2.

You also need to pick a gauge...I personally like .045-.105 strings.

4. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Rotosound Swing Bass RS66LD are usually the ones people mean when they say "Rotosounds." Roundwound stainless strings, long scale in .45. .65, .80 and .105. Rotosound also makes nickelwound Swing Bass, but they will not give you the Chris Squire or John Entwhistle sound. Long scale should fit through the RD body because they fit through my '75 Ripper, which is the same setup.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021