1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I bought it!

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by tramp, Aug 6, 2007.

1. tramp

tramp

Mar 5, 2004
    South Louisiana
    This past weekend, I drove 120 miles to try out an L2000. I liked it so much, I bought it. The sound is fantastic althought I am still searching for my settings. Trying to get a little growl out of it. I lowered the E string as it is too high and there was a fret buzz on the frets below the A fret.:meh: The string saddle was all the way down which put the string at a good height. The neck looks pretty straight. I have never adjusted the truss on anything so I am a little nervous about that. I would hate to mess up anything. Any suggestions.

tramp

2. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Don't touch it. Truss rods are very tricky and if you don't have experience with it, don't do it.

Of course you may still try. If you do, remember. Turn the truss rod only a quarter of a turn and then give the neck some days to settle in. You'll want to losen the nut. That will add relief to the neck, and add some bow.

Good luck

steve

3. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Congratulations, Tramp! You'll love it even more after gigging with it.

A hint on the "growl" settings:

-both p'ups on
    -series wiring (second switch set to forward position)
    -preamp on
    -treble on 10
    -bass on 8

Try that out. You may need to adjust pickup & polepiece heights down the road to get even string-to-string volume, but get the action set up first.

4. floydman

floydman

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    another setting suggestion, my current favorites :
    neck pickup, series, passive, bass at 3 treble at 4

or
    bridge pickup only, passive parallel bass at 6 treble at 4

5. unclejane

unclejane Guest

Jul 23, 2008
    My WAG is the neck is too flat for your tastes, so you might try loosening the rod (the rod works in same direction as a bolt - lefty-loosy/righty-tighty). This will add some releif.

The bottomed out saddles may be an issue. I'm accustomed to this on my fretless models because the saddles are _always_ too high on fretless models ;).

On a fretted, tho, if bottoming a saddle and the string is still too high you may have to do some more adjusting. The easiest/lowest cost thing to do is file down the saddle groove with a good carbide nut file (make sure the groove is rounded so there are no sharp bends in the string where it goes through the groove). The older 3-bolt G&L's had the ability to adjust the tilt of the neck, if it had that I'd try adjusting the tilt "down" so that the heel is raised a bit. If the saddles are way high, like they were on my L2000, the tilt might not have enough adjustment to get the strings high enough.

I wouldn't mess with shimming the neck. That involves taking apart a perfectly good bass and destabilizing the neck/body joint in unknown ways with a shim. Filing the saddles is the better option here.

All this is assuming the string height at the nut is correct. If that's off the open strings will be all wrong and fretting will require too much effort if too high, etc.

LS

6. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    This is all good stuff, but, where are the pictures?

7. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    ....we have a WINNER! This is exactly my go-to setting. Big, mean, BALLSY! Like crackin' the throttle on a big Harley....

8. tramp

tramp

Mar 5, 2004
    South Louisiana
    I will post a picture of it tonight. It is a player!

9. tramp

tramp

Mar 5, 2004
    South Louisiana
    Here are the pictures of my L2000. I love this color.:bassist:

Attached Files:

10. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Yeah Ive been running the bridge pup only, but the other night I switched to this setting except I use passive... after tweaking my pre-amp on the amp, bass flat and boosting the highs and mids, DAMN HUGE!

11. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    .....yep, me too..........

Attached Files:

12. Rosebud

Rosebud

Jan 3, 2007
    honeyburst baby!

13. i'm all for innovation, and there will always be room in my quiver for a neato bass or something different and cool...

but the L-2000 is it for me. excellent purchase.