I can't put it down...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Ok... the last few weeks i think i've noticed something wierd about me....

I wake up for school, i get a shower, then i pick up my bass for 4 minutes real fast before i head to school. I get in the band room at lunch and play bass (sometimes... whenever my gf isn't with me), right when i get home, i pick up my bass, and start playing it w/o it even being plugged in... then i dont really put it down till i go to bed :meh: even if im on the phone.... watching tv.... or... well... anything... im always playing my bass.... and i really just reallized this today when i was on the phone and watching tv (multitasking to the extreme there) and the person on the other end goes.... "your playing your bass again aren't you... :rollno: ," so low and behold i look down and im playing "hysteria" by muse (superb song btw, if you dont know it, i suggest you go learn it... NOW)

Anyway, i hope im not the only one like this... cause something might be wrong with me. Lately i haven't even been plugging it into my amp because i just love that 'o natural sound of it without any electronic crap ;)

*just thought i'd share that :p

2. thats pathetic!

you need to sleep less, stop showering, and dump your girlfriend. theyre taking up precious bassplaying time!!!

jus kiddin :D:D:D
  3. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I wish i had that drive. I got rid of my TV to help me practice more (BTW I thought it was bad to practice while watching TV?) I think i need to get rid of my computer now :) . Thats really cool that you never put it down and play all day. I also find myself playing without it plugged in...I don't know why...I just do it.
  4. It's so cool isn't it? I'm the same, when I get up I plug it in and just play some tunes. At work I start thinking about what I'll when I get home then I play it. If theres even 5 minutes to kill I'll pick up my trusty Fender and plug away.

Man I love bass :D
  5. this was the most inspirational thread i have ever seen anywhere and the reason i joined this forum! i just started playing the bass this year and i totally understand what you mean! if im not playing or talking about my bass i am thinking about it! its just soo additctive :)
  6. One time I was ready to leave my house for a class, and I had 5 minutes to spare. So I picked up my bass and started playing. So what seemed like 5 minutes of playing, actually turned into 2 hours of jamming away. I looked at the clock and pretty much missed my class. Right there and then I knew that bass was the instrument for me.
  7. buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    keep it up. when i was in high school, thats how i was, any spare time i had i would be jammin away. i didn't really keep after my chops and they went away. now i am 29 and find myself bitten by the bass bug again. and i'm back to my routine. wake up, have a cup of tea, play play play! :bassist:
  8. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I do that all the time.

I keep my basses on String Swings so they are easy to get at and I will just pull one off the wall and play unplugged while watching TV or whenever.

I do alot of that. I'll just play while I'm waiting for something instead of watching tv. I will just run through scales or whatever or do a bunch of slap stuff to entertain myself until I have to leave, and yes I have fallen into the I'll just practice for a couple of minutes and end up being there for two hours trap many times. That always happens if I plug in and use headphones.

I just can't help it.
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Playing bass on the toilet = :cool:
  10. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I love bass, but I would never do that! :eek:

Anyway, I play a lot when I'm at home. Play bass when I'm watching TV,surfing the web or talking on the phone. I usually don't even think about it until the person talking to me notices that.

When I think about it, I have been doing less of that stuff (playing while watching TV and stuff) and more of actual practice.
  11. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that's a good thing tim. go check out the db forum and ask the professionals how much they practice. It's not uncommon for players with 40 years under their belt to spend 4 hours a day on those things. I shared an office with a phenomenal sax player who did a lot of jazz gigs and recording. He had his sax on a stand in his living room so when he got home that would be the 1st thing he did.
  12. I'm starting to get that drive back. It comes and goes. I just heard a cool bass line(take the power back by RATM) and can't stop playing it.

It so much better than watching TV or being here so I'm gone!!!
  13. golden_boy

Dec 27, 2004

he sounds like a bit bit of a coltrane - playing until he falls asleep :D

I also love the story of coltrane where he ate so many sweets that his sax got blocked with sugar lol.

I know what you mean though - playing an instrument is addictive, especially if you feel you are learning a lot and getting places. I have lost that urge at the moment... I am stuck in a rut :(

14. dito...
  15. Alot of students are exactly the same I have two best friends one drummer and one guitar if they're not playing their instruments we are talking , listening , and reading music
    It's just the life of a musician so all of us are in the same boat we'll to an extent but most peeps here would agree
    although ruts will come further down the track don't be discouraged it's just like anything else you get you have your up's and downs that's life sort've like overcoming barriers
    But continue on like you are doing is the key and learning different things will only add to your motivation so keep up the goodwork cause it will pay off in the long run
  16. Thank you... anyway, ya there are only 2 things on my mind all the time... my girlfriend and my bass :p
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I don't really do that... I poop too fast...

you heard me... I poop too fast.

18. ... that's like the ultimate thread stopper...

... and that's horrible...

... and *shudders* .... :scowl: