1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I don't belive it! I won!! (fleabay content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ProfGumby, May 22, 2011.

1. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Peavey T-40 bass guitar with OHSC | eBay

I hope I didn't snipe anyone here....I waited till there was 3 seconds left to enter my bid. This bass is a dead ringer for my T 40 I bought in late '82. I can hardly wait to see it in person!
    :bassist:

2. Nice. $ 305's not bad for one of those these days, they've been going up.

3. Wow that looks like it is in great condition! I hope it looks as good in person. If the T-40 wasn't so heavy I would love to have one.

4. Congratulations on won!! (fleabay content)! thats is a nice bass. Used, but like a new one!:bassist:

5. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    My buddy who bought my original bass in the late 80's was quick to remind me his (my old one) was better...Ha ha ha! I told him that may be true, but I had her first and he has my leftovers!

Aren't friends fun? :D

6. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Congrats!

I'll never forget the time that I experienced a power failure (the entire house) during the last minute of bidding on a fleabay auction-and I lost that item. Glad you won the Peavey bass...

7. vstring3

vstring3

Oct 30, 2009
    Connecticut
    What a great win! Envious.

8. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    cool..I just won a 2005 Warwick Corvette standard for $420 shipped and all....not bad for some German craftsmanship.

9. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Some nice eBay scores tonight! Way to go guys!

10. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    Nice score on the T-40... it looks like a beauty. I owned a tobacco burst T-45 which I bought brand new way, way back in time... and I recently owned a very worn black n' maple T-40 which I ended up selling mainly because I didn't want to put any money into whipping into pristine shape. Looks like you have a keeper. I keep watching my local Craigslist looking for a good deal on a really nice T-40 like yours.

If the seller had posted the T-40 you purchased under "bass" instead of "guitar - electric" it would have likely commanded a higher bid.

11. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I am not complaining. :D And the seller is pretty open about finding the bass at an estate sale and knowing nothing much about it. I think that also accounted for the low starting bid too.

But I found the bass right away by searching for "Peavey T 40" so I am surprised that many others did not. And this has been a long time search to find a red T 40, in good shape, with the blade pups, that did not cost 500.00. I saw one other on ebay but was in no position to bid and Elderly had one that was pretty much pristine, but so was their price tag.

I think this bass might be somewhat of a closet classic that has spent much of its 30 years sitting in the case, which also appears to be in fantastic condition!

It was a fun, 4 year plus, hunt to find this bass. It is the absolute twin of my first T 40...only my original was an 83 and this one is an 81.

12. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Well, I got the T 40 strung up and ready for me to make it sound horrible!

I also had to move the bridge 3/32 to the G string side. It was mounted correctly in the notch and the ferrules all lined up, but after checking the neck pocket and pickup alignment with the bridge it was clear the bridge was set too far to the E string side. All the routings and ferrule holes were spot on, everything lined up precisely, except the whole thing was too far off center. And even in the photos below, the angle the seller took the pictures from should favor the bass looking more like it should alignment wise. But if you look, it really does not.

I was faced with either moving the bridge or letting the E string ride the edge of the neck towards the body. I moved the bridge!

1 - you can kind of see it here, it kind of looks like it even with the angle of the photo but I made some close ups (to follow)
    2bbrz5.

2 - you can see a little better how close the E string is to the edge of the neck and how the bridge sits off center from the pups
    2ldwutw.

3 - closer still from the neck pup and fretboard. Even with the angle of the bass you can see how the E string is pretty much even with the end of the blades on the pups and distant on the G string side
    b3wrra.

4 - closeup from the bridge. Notice how the bridge is set closer to the E string than the G. The bridge was about 1/32 from being flush with the end of the pickups on the G string side.
    55nv35.

I have never seen an early American Peavey with this kind of alignment. Hell I have never seen any Peavey bass like this. And for the neck pocket purists, the pocket is a scant 32nd wider than the neck heel (I don't care about that part though) However, I am surprised it got out of the factory like this. But it was no thang for me to pull the bridge, plug the holes and relocate the bridge. Fortunately the oval route for the strings to pass through the body was just wide enough that the bridge could slide over far enough without breaking out the router. I did slightly enlarge the holes from the bridge rout to about 1/2 way to the ferrules so the strings would not bind or be restricted in any way.

And after all this and having the neck and bridge off the bass I suspect all this adds to the idea that this bass sat in the case, in a closet for decades. The fretboard and frets barely have any wear and the same for the pickguard.

It is too late to let er rip through the amp right now, but tomorrow I will re check the tuning and intonation and give himself a run. I can hardly wait to hear it's roar to life with the Chromes! I will add some after pics in the T 40 thread tomorrow...and yes this bass is still a beauty to behold!

13. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    What a coincidence... I just bought a T-40 from a fellow TB'er this weekend. He will ship it out this week and I'm really looking forward to it. :) I also got mine for a very fair price, although mine will be white. It will actually be my first T-40 and I'm looking forward to it. Kudos!