1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i dont know anything

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by new_2_bass, Apr 22, 2006.

1. new_2_bass

new_2_bass

Apr 22, 2006
    i just started playing the bass, or i should say i got my bass around christmas and ive been messing around with it.i cant play it all that well. or i should say at all. i dont know the notes and the most i can do is make it look like i know what im doing and make stuff up.im supposed to be playing bass for the band pointless, and lead singer, but we havnt started pracs yet. i think it'll be hard.the vocals is easy.the bass is imposible.:bawl:

:help:

2. cat_s

cat_s

Apr 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Keep it simple, sweetheart.

Bass can be real simple and still sound good. An example of how simple you can get: Find a note that sounds good with what the primary instrument is doing and just thump a rhythm on that note. You can actually get away with this for a while.

Or, find the note that has the same name as the chord the guitarist is playing. Call that 1. Now find the note that's on the next higher string, two frets higher than the first note. This is 5. A lot of good bass lines are built around 1 & 5.

Remember, your most important job is to synch up with the drummer and nail down the groove. Fancy stuff can come with time.

The best compliment I ever got on my playing was when a jazz pianist said "Once she gets hold of a groove she don't ever let it go." For me, that's what bass is all about--the groove.:bassist:

Oh yeah, do yourself and your band a favor: buy a metronome and USE it--use it every day, even when you aren't playing your bass, just slap your leg to it.

When I first learned I didn't have a metronome so I practiced drumming on the steering wheel in time to the windshield wipers and the turn-signals. (NOT while I was driving!!!)

3. new_2_bass

new_2_bass

Apr 22, 2006
    ok quick question... what is a metronome?