1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I fell in love with a J + a question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paisteman, Oct 8, 2009.

1. paisteman

paisteman

Dec 13, 2007
    I have been shopping around for a new bass as of late. Went to a local shop and played various P and J models from Squire to American Deluxe. I walked in with the intention of wanting a P. I play Rock music, so the shoe fits. I picked up a Highway 1 J and fell in love. The tone was the sound in my head. I could really feel the bass vibrate through the body. It just felt great. My question is do all Highway 1's vibrate and feel as good? Or is this that situation when I should ignore the fact that it's the Wine finish when really I would prefer a Blonde or Sunburst. It did have a blemish or two in the finish, should I try and talk down the price?

2. South_Bass

South_Bass

Sep 28, 2009
    I bought one recently and it feels and plays great! Only thing is the finish gets marks and scratches on it REALLY easily. Not really an issue for me though

3. No. So get one that's great right off the rack, finish be damned. IMO/IME.

4. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Buy that bass! You've come across a winner! The color is fine. The sound is what's important.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Get THAT one. Change the pick guard or whatever to get it more like you want it. Don't ever pass up a bass that calls to you. I worked at a Fender dealer for a while. We got in a wine Mexi J once that played and sounded GREAT right out of the box. It just had that "something" that made it feel "mine". I thought about it for a few weeks while it hung on the wall. I went to buy it on my day off and my best friend had just sold it. Now it will always be "the one that got away". And yes, tlak them down on the price because of the scuffs. Or at least get a case upgrade or something out of the deal (couple sets of strings maybe?).

6. paisteman

paisteman

Dec 13, 2007
    A case upgrade is a great idea! Thanks!

7. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Yes... get it.

8. TRob1293

TRob1293

Feb 1, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    I had that feeling about 6 months ago about a Road Worn Jazz - reddish colored. It felt like heaven under my fingers and everything 'fit' me.
    Sadly - money is an object.

9. XXL

XXL calm seas dont make skilled sailors

Jun 14, 2007
    Try another one and you will see that all basses arent created equal.. my advice as was the others.. grab it asap