Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I hate hackers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dlloyd, Jun 2, 2005.

1. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Dunno how many of you also hang at the Dudepit, but I'll just take this opportunity to express love for Steve "Dude" Barr. I hope the guy who wiped the Dudepit archive rots in hell. :bawl:

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I haven't by there since this morning. Did they find out it was a hacker for sure?

-Mike

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Dude, anti-hacking is your own responsibility. If you don't protect yourself, you'll get what you get. I have a massive home network here, and all anyone's going to see if they hack into it, is a single solitary Windows machine. There's no way anyone can see the plethora of stuff that's behind it. The Internet is the Wild Wild West these days. I say, you need a sherrif on your side. Unless you're wearing a black hat. And even then... :D

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Sure, but when you pay for a service that includes security and backup, that's what should be provided, no?

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I agree. I thought this was a problem with EZ-Board though. I don't know how much control or security one can implement through them. I suppose I should read up on EZ-Board more.

-Mike

6. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, but Zone Alarm doesn't quite cut it. It's good, it more than most people have, but it's still hackable.

Hardware firewalls like SonicWall are hackable too.

One needs to be a little clever these days.

Don't ask me how I know that.... :D

7. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    what do you recommend El Sequitore ?

i use norton , spybot , ad-aware and update regularly.

8. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Those are all good. A "modicum" of protection is more than most people have.

In reality though, I know for a fact that MicroSlop has included a few things on behalf of the government.

The trick is, to become aware of those things, and to be able to deal with them.

It's not a simple exercise. It takes considerable study.

I can tell you one thing for sure, the moment someone hacks into my perimeter, it'll be restored within 30 minutes.

It's all up to you. It really is the "Wild Wild West" these days. The Internet is the frontier of technology, still to this day.

No matter how much people try to legislate against it (ie the FBI says that if they can't break your encryption, you're doing something illegal) - I'd consider that in the same context as Matt Dillon trying to enforce the law in Dodge City.

This is real folks, it's not about someone telling you what to do. My message to all y'all is: "protect yourselves".

There's technology out there, in the public domain, that will give you a leg up on all the hackers. Hacking is illegal, and if you can prove someone did it, you can win massive damages against them. The courts have shown this precedence.

The trick is, the "proof" part. Let's see, just to scratch the surface, I like "Sam Spade". It's slightly outdated, but it still does a pretty good job. With that, I can identify wherever in the world a hack attack comes from. It's not much, but it's a start.

If you want more info, PM me. :D

9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Like what or can you point me in the right direction to find out?

10. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Nope. I'm constrained. All I can point you to, is ways to protect yourself. The real deal is, that everyone and their brother is trying to hack into your system. Just run "Sam Spade" for a few hours, and see where the attempted intrusions come from. Ireland, Pakistan, China... I mean, the list goes on "ad nauseum". If you get a Zone Alarm and a hardware firewall, that's an excellent place to start. That'll eliminate the "low hanging fruit". But if the FBI or the NSA wants to hack into your system, there's really no way to stop them. Those guys are way more advanced than I am. And I'm pretty darn good. :D

(Edit: a trivial example would be, MusicMatch. Anyone have that? It bypasses your IP stack, and goes directly out to the network. Zone Alarm won't stop it, and the hardware firewall is useless too ('cause it originates in your machine). My best guess is, it's being done either on behalf of advertising and business interest, or on behalf of the record industry. But, one really has to become aware of this kind of stuff. It's going on "behind our backs", so to speak - at least for most of us).

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Comcast Rhapsody is doing something similar to this as well.

-Mike

12. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Is there any way to find out who does these things and seriously hurt them? I mean it. I wish there was a way to get to these people.

13. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Sam Spade will give you their IP address. What you do beyond that, is entirely up to you. I'd urge caution. And, "have fun". That's not intended as a politlcal statement, that's just reality. This is still the Wild Wild west. You can get away with murder, if you know how to protect yourself. The only thing I'd suggest is, "maintain your principles". Otherwise, the powers that be are going to come down on you, hard. If you're doing the right thing, there won't be any problem. If you're just scratching your b*lls, there will be a problem It's a very fine ethical line to walk, IMO. As long as you're on the right side of the line, you're on the right side of the line. :D

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    The thing is, Dude and his followers have been paying a hefty bill to ezboard to take the responsibility of security for this crap. Paying a premium for someone else to take care of that kind of crap. Outsourcing if you will, so it wasn't their headache. No one's fault all is lost but the toads at ezboard.

15. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    slightly off topic (but then we're in OT aren't we..) but lets just say I've got a home network. Cable modem>Router>Hub>>3 PCs. If I have the router configured to block all incoming ports and I don't use any of the "bad" software apps (MusicMatch, Napster, WinMX, BitTorent, GAIN, and the like) how hackable would I be? I believe they call the router system an NAT firewall (???).

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    After doing some research into the events at the Pit, it turns out the attack was on the entire EZ-Board community. Probably not much any board owner could have done to protect themselves as all info was stored on the EZ-Board servers. As a result of this attack, it appears that EZ-Board is now going to let board Ops back up their forums onto their own home computers. What a novel idea!!

-Mike

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Entirely novel. :smug:

18. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    And probably too late.

I can't imagine Dude is the only one who's abandoning ez board

19. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    NAT is good. That's definitely a step in the right direction. :)

Your perimeter in this case would be your Router. Some routers are more hackable than others. Depends on the make and manufacturer. But generally speaking, your configuration will protect you from the low-hanging gnats. Most of the hackers, after all, are just teenagers with too much time on their hands. If a "real" hacker wants to break into your system, it's very hard to stop. A "good" hacker can usurp an IP transaction in progress, that kind of thing. No router in the known universe will stop that. There might be some pieces of software that can detect that kind of thing, but usually by the time you're notified, it's too late. Anyway, not trying to scare you. It would take someone with a real motivation to do that kind of thing, and it's highly illegal, and the ISP's (and a few other people) are watching out for that kind of thing. I think you're pretty safe. Use Zone Alarm anyway, in all your machines, or Black Ice or whatever. That's an extra layer of protection. Once in a blue moon you might find an alarm on there, but generally speaking the teenage dweebs give up when they see an IP that's protected. :)

20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    those turds are all out looking for wireless networkls now. :rollno: