i have a confession...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mindflow, May 23, 2005.

1. mindflow

Oct 31, 2004
    San Diego
    im really not feelin geddy lee. ive had a geddy lee bass for a few years and love it. im just really not into rush at all. i understand whats he's doing on bass and i appreciate it technique-wise. but its not music to my ears. i know i will get flak for this, especially on this site, but i had to get it off my chest. but damn, what a great bass.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thank goodness there's no law that says we have to like all the music we hear!
  3. How DARE you?!

LOL, just kidding...Rush is what you might call an "acquired taste"...not much in-between with them...either you worship them or you could care less for 'em.

I'm the same way with Yes...I do not find their catalog musical at all...but Chris Squire is a monster!
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You are hereby expelled from the most ancient and accepted order of bassists!!!:mad:

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Geddy might be my all-time favorite, but as was mentioned earlier, I can't do Yes at all (with no offense to Chris Squire)... just can't seem to swallow their style. If it's any consolation to you, I have only a marginal interest in the Geddy Lee jazz bass... just not my sound.
  6. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    It just goes to show you that different tastes make the world go around..

YES is great!
  7. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    You can't like everything, but being open to everything is key.

I wish I could riff and solo like Victor Wooten, but would rather be in band like the Dave Matthews Band.
  8. amused2KAOS

Apr 22, 2005
    if you think rush is an acquired taste than you have never eard anything by capt. beefheart. its cool if you dont like rush, i for one love rush, yes and... capt. beefheart :D
  9. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Hey Mindflow I'm with you on that. I am just not down with Geddy Lee either. The guy is a really talented bassist and I truely respect the guy a musician. But I have never been a Rush fan at all.

I probably could have got into it more if Geddy Lee did not sing. I really can't deal with his vocals.
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The GL Jazz is a really slick bass.. I love it. I'm only mildly into Rush. I have a Rush wristband for bass playing though, only because I think it's funny. Amongst Good Charolette and Offspring and Green Day wristbands was a Rush one. :D

His vocals are "teh suck"
  11. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    No worries, I mean there are a few big-name bassists whose playing that I myself just can't get into really, even though they are immensely talented or they're super-nice guys. As Confused-us said, "that's why God created different-colored neckties."
  12. Im the opposite to mentioned, I love Yes (practically grew up with them) but I just can't seem to get into rush.

But yeh dude, you're not likely to cop any flak from expressing that you dont like a bassist, but you respect him/her. If you had have come on here and said "Geddy is so crap, i cant believe I bought his bass, I rekon he should go die horribly!"... that would have got you banned from the forum on general princible! ;)

Anyway, yeh, I agree, I can't seem to like Geddy too much, though I've seen him play live (rush in rio) and he rocked the Khazbar, I'm just not a Geddy man!
  13. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    That's my problem exactly. Yes, however, is a different case... :cool: