I have a question about chords

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Baloo, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Baloo

Mar 1, 2004
    San Luis,Az
    I know that the basic chord is triade (chord composed by 3 chords example: C, E, G), but my question is if i can do diferent chords beside major, minor, disminished, augmented?
    (i just want chords formed by 3 or 2 tones, not 4 tones).

Thank you :)

I don't know if i told you, but you and me are my only master.
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

A triad is a chord composed of three notes, not a chord composed of three chords. I know you are a beginner in theory, but it is important to have a grasp of basic music vocabulary in order to learn theory.

I applaud you for attempting to learn, to have the courage to ask questions and to do so in a language that is not your primary language.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

If you are looking for chords with only two or three tones, the three tone chords are the major, minor, augmented and diminished chords.

Two tone chords would be the root, 5th power chord. Another would be the root, octave.

Three tone chords would be as follows:

Major chord=Root, 3rd, 5th

Minor chord=Root, flat 3rd, 5th

Augmented chord=Root, 3rd, sharp 5th

Diminished chord=Root, flat 3rd, flat 5th

Terminology does vary in regard to the word "diminished" and there have been discussions of what exactly is meant by diminished here before.

Diminsihed triad chord= Root, flat 3rd, flat 5th
    Half-diminished chord=Root, flat 3rd, flat 5th, flat 7th
    Diminished Seventh chord=Root, flat 3rd, flat 5th, double flat 7th(meaning the 7th is flatted twice.)

Please note that some books on theory call the diminished chord the four tone seventh chord and do not refer to the triad.

This discussion will be meaningless to you, however, if you do not know what is meant by Root, 3rd, 5th or flat 5th and flat 3rd in a triad. I am assuming you do know these terms, but please let us know if you need further explanation. Someone here will be glad to explain further.
  4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Sus or Sus4 - Root 4th 5th - C F G
    Sus2 - Root 2nd 5th - C D G
    Majb5 - Root 3rd flat 5th - C E Gb
    Min#5 - Root flat 3rd sharp 5 - C Eb G#
  5. Baloo

Mar 1, 2004
    San Luis,Az
    im so sorry about mistake about chords formed by 3 chords, and thank you for your help, i know there are the C5 formed by C and G. but i tought that i can make C3 or C6( i mean root note C and other note besides the 5th, im talking chord formed by 2 notes).

its so helpful your full info about triade

its safe for me when you know what i mean, jajaja, its so sadly when people dont understand my questions. :)

6. Baloo

Mar 1, 2004
    San Luis,Az
    i know about intervals and one of my goals is identify it all with my ear.

A good link for begginers is www.musictheory.net i hope it helps on others.