1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I have a Trace Elliot GP12 SMX but now cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tobias Sullivan, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Tobias Sullivan

Tobias Sullivan

Jan 15, 2016
    Got this sweet pre-amp and now I’m looking at cabs and have no idea what I’m doing...
    I’m in a often playing band and we have gigged in pretty big venues. Currently I’m playing it through a 410 (that isnt Mine) so I’m looking to get a cab of my own.
    I’ve scoured the internet trying to read up but haven’t found much on cabs.
    Trace Elliot’s tend to be clean and serene so I’m looking for a crunchy sound that will fill a room.

Do cab companies have different sounds as far as output? Distortion? (Sorry if this is a stupid question)

The preamp is 300w with 8 ohms so any suggestions/references are helpful.

2. A Pre-amp does not have a power section. If yours does it’s an integrated head. :)

alaskaleftybass and HolmeBass like this.
  3. Where are you and how much can you spend?

4. Tobias Sullivan

Tobias Sullivan

Jan 15, 2016
    Ok, this is another question of mine. Everywhere I’ve read says it’s a preamp... but I’ve already gigged with it and put through a 410 without a problem.... how do I tell if it’s intergrated? EDIT: little more research led me to find it’s a Head not a preamp.

I live in Vermont and I’m willing to drop around $300, also my band and I are going on tour in a few months so I’d rather a light cab. But also one that will be able to be loud when needed. So I’m unsure which is why I’m looking for advice.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    BassmanPaul and BrentSimons like this.
  5. Tobias Sullivan

Tobias Sullivan

Jan 15, 2016
    This is the back of her.

Attached Files:

6. Tobias I just sent you a private message. I might be able to help you out.
    Brent

7. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    T-E was a bit confusing with this line of products. The SMX range uses the GP12SMX preamp, but mates it with various power amp sections to create different head or combo models. I believe since it's a head that it is an RAH250SMX. Either that or it might have been taken out of a combo and put in a head case.
    T-E also did produce a standalone GP12SMX preamp, just to add to the confusion.

8. Tobias Sullivan

Tobias Sullivan

Jan 15, 2016
    So the model I have is the AH250SMX which apparently stands for Amp Head. It’s in the original case(the none black light one).

9. $300 puts you in the non choosers camp. What you can find that is in good condition?

10. Tobias Sullivan

Tobias Sullivan

Jan 15, 2016
    I’m merely looking to educate myself about cabs... I’m not exactly sure what the “non choosers camp” is either. I’m just looking for information so I can make a better decision.

11. I am a 210 vertical stack believer!!

Read and digest for future cab investment.

12. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Talkbass has tons of info (and opinion) on a wide variety of cabs.
    Myself, I don't think of bass cabs as being grind-y. In my opinion you want the cab to be uncolored and let the amp or pedals provide the texture.

$300 is probably going to limit you to the used market, which also limits your options. I would look for Hartke and Gallien-Krueger. The only new cab I could recommend in your price range is the Acoustic BN112.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  13. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Three choices. 1. New Peavey 2. Blem Peavey. 3. Classic 'Silver Fin' Made in USA Peavey. Heavy as bricks but insanely dependable and loud, as well as affordable. Lots in eBay, GC, and CL.

BadExample and smogg like this.
  14. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    If part of your goal is to achieve a crunchy sound, that can be easily accomplished with a bass overdrive or distortion stompbox (effect pedal) of which there are many.

If you want to learn what they do, search youtube for bass overdrive, bass dirt, fuzz, bass distortion demos and reviews.

Cabinet choice isn’t really a big factor in achieving a dirty tone. It affects it a little, but cab choice alone won’t get you there.

But back to choosing a cab. Good news is there are many good options. Here are a couple of general pointers:

- test the cab with your head if possible

- if you buy used, you can get a lot more bang for your buck. Especially if you don’t mind large/heavy. A lot of us geezers are unloading our sweet sounding heavy cabs for super light stuff, so there are some serious deals to be had.

- if you can try before you buy, and actually use it at rehearsal, that’s the best way to really know if its gonna work for you

- height is good. You can be loud af and still not hear yourself, if you have a short cab pointed at your ankles. the vertical 2x10 idea above is one way to solve it.

good luck!