1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I just bought a Phil Jones Double Four when I wasn't expecting to

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jleguy, Apr 16, 2017.

1. jleguy

jleguy

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    I had been looking over the years not very seriously for an amp for upright and acoustic bass that can run off a battery for small jams, and I wasn't in the market to buy a Phil Jones Double Four today, but I did. I was actually reading threads about MAS cabs and ran across threads about the Double Four. So on a whim I looked up to see how much scratch these were going for. It is on sale at Proaudio Star for $349 w/ free shipping. Then I looked for a promo code and got 10% off with "10PERCENTOFF." So I bought one for the grand total of $314.

Phil Jones Bass Double 4 Bass Combo Amp Black

Then I bought on ebay a Lenmar PowerPort External Notebook and Laptop Battery Backup Charger w/ Adapters PPU916 for $48:

Lenmar PowerPort External Notebook and Laptop Battery Backup Charger w/ Adapters 29521849912 | eBay

This will power the Double Four, so says Phil Jones in this video:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    Adam Booker and Steve Freides like this.
  2. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Duluth, MN
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Well that did it. I've been on the fence about getting one for a bit, but this convinced me. Just ordered one, too. Shipped to the office, though, so my wife won't hate you, I mean, me.

coldtrain, ColdEye and jleguy like this.
  3. jleguy

jleguy

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    I also bought the Arriba case AC-115 for the Double-4 for $29.00, free shipping from Walmart. $34 on Amazon.

Adam Booker likes this.
  4. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Duluth, MN

Lalalala not listening!

In all seriousness, I 've been looking at this for an office amp.

jleguy likes this.
  5. jleguy

jleguy

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    Yeah, I have to figure out how I am going to tell my wife I just bought this after just buying a 1926 Juzek...

Adam Booker likes this.
  6. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Duluth, MN
    Looks like we'll bith be seeing the couch after the packages are delivered!

Chris Fitzgerald and jleguy like this.
  7. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ (Certified Gear Junkie)

I love a good deal as much as I love gear, BUT even though my GB 3.0 8t can't run off a battery it serves as my 'little amp'. Plus when I plug in my GK Neo 112 I get 300 watts and LOTS of great bass sound.

PLUS, I just bought an EUB and used up my last 'get out of jail card'.

jleguy likes this.
  8. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    I live in NYC and sometimes subway to gigs. The double four has been a godsend. Any tasty-drummer jazz gig is cool. Not beautiful, but audible.

Adam Booker and jleguy like this.
  9. jleguy

jleguy

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    My expectations on the Double Four are low, especially volume-wise (I will try adding a preamp in front to juice it up a bit as suggested), but for the scratch I decided to pull the trigger, especially since it will run off of a laptop battery...my hope is that it will keep up with a couple of unamplified acoustic guitars and a hand drum for those times I play round the camp fire with my Warwick Alien fretless. Otherwise it will be a practice amp and easy to schlep to the beach house on weekends.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  10. jleguy

jleguy

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    Good to know. I bought this with low expectations on volume and for true gigging, so its good to know it can keep pace with a quiet drummer on jazz.

11. katysax

katysax

Nov 5, 2012
    Most of my gigs are with amplified acoustic instruments, no drums. The D4 with battery is awesome and versatile. Last week I used it at an impromptu jam at a festival with a passive pickup ubass and I was really wishing I had brought a pre amp. In a large hotel lobby with carpet and curtains, the room ate up the sound. Both gain and master were maxed. In some cases I can get a lot of volume even in an auditorium. It has been ok with restrained drums. I actually have two of these. My first one was used so much I wore out the jack. Got the second on deal from pro audio star while the first was being repaired. This amp does have its limitations but is incredibly useful. Ironically I don't use it as a practice amp at home but it gets taken out of the house and used 3 or more times a week. I have also used it to amp a ukulele. Of all my musical gear the D4 gets the most use.

It's ok for a small group or jam outdoors but outdoor concerts or festivals need more power. It's not loud enough even in a small venue for a rock band with a drummer. Sometimes I don't love the D4 because the sound is rich but nut big or full, but dang it is just so useful. Nothing else portable and battery powered comes close. You won't regret the purchase.

12. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    To those that have a D4, does your d4 make a terrible sound when pushed too hard? I have to run mine with the master on max and regulate my volume from my pre-amp or the input volume. Street noise will swallow up my sound. There are times that a note struck too hard will produce a digital distortion. Anyone else have this problem?

13. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Duluth, MN
    Maiden voyage last night. Remic green through Felix into D4. Guitar, bass, sax. Large but narrow room, moderate crowd. Flawless. I actually had to roll off lows. Unbelievable. This is the perfect amp for this situation!

Attached Files:

Groove Doctor, Earl and jleguy like this.
  14. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    I like to mess with guys who haven't seen one before by saying "Hey man, check out my new amp - catch!" and tossing it to them. I find placement, always important, is especially important with this. Coupling is crucial, so it needs to be on the floor and if possible near a wall so that radiator can do its thing. I like to stand it the long way on its end, or it's actually a little boomy. I think that radiator is the key. The earlier Phil Jones Cub is a tiny amp too, but lacks the radiator and is inadequate for gigging. I see there is a new version of the Suitcase that has the radiator. Anyone try it? I tried a Suitcase years ago and thought it a beautiful and dead quiet amp, but a little soft.

15. jleguy

jleguy

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    I don't regret my whim purchase of the Double Four...keeping it in perspective it is still pretty amazing what this little thing can do.

16. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Duluth, MN
    Well, a few weeks and a few gigs and I'm sold. This little guy, which I have dubbed the "Brave Little Toaster" is fantastic! Rainy day here in Duluth and I got to messing around. Here's my ninja rig.

Attached Files:

Earl likes this.
  17. Hey all,
    Has anyone compared the double four to the bass cub? Just curious...

18. MDrost1

MDrost1

Oct 16, 2009
    Grand Haven, MI
    Just tell her it is a tax write off. : ). All kidding aside...it is a tax write off. I've been thinking about trying one myself. All out of stock!

Adam Booker likes this.
  19. Adam Booker

May 3, 2007
    Duluth, MN
    She knows it's a tax write off. We're all good. I'm a lucky man!

MDrost1 likes this.
  20. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    More bottom than the Cub. Imho the Cub is purely a practice box. The double four is useable on low volume gigs.