Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I just bought a smith!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ceeprm, Oct 10, 2003.

1. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    I just bought this smith in the UK for £1200- everything they say about smiths is true they are amazing even though this is one of their lower models- its now my #1 recording bass....

[​IMG]

2. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    arse how do you get the picture thing to work?

3. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    heres another- got it to work now- cheers!!!
    [​IMG]

4. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    So, care to give us the specs on that Bass?
    :D . More pictures wouldnt hurt either. Im sure your lovin' it.
    Michael

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Congrats!!!

Welcome to the club!

Looks sweet.

6. turbod

turbod

Aug 30, 2002
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Your new smith looks almost like mine. I've got a BSR5M. I love it! It's got that greasy smooth tone I just love, that smooth wood. It delivers!

Enjoy yours....

7. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Specs are pretty standard bolt-on maple neck,quilted maple body,smith pickups/three band eq. I originally wanted a neck-thru after playing one in NYC but the bolt-on sounds just as good. Anybody know of any other basses that sound like smiths? They are definately unique sounding....

8. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Nope :cool:

And there's nuthin' "standard" about a Smith :smug:

Enjoy!

9. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    pretty standard for a smith then!! no fancy neck laminates/tops etc but still one of the nicest basses Ive ever played....

10. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Well ceeprm...I have a "Black Tiger" 6 string, which is about as "fancy" as they get...neck-thru, stunning figured black walnut top, flame walnut back over a tiger maple core with bubinga stringers, parallel switches, etc. ....and I just bought a BSR6M fretless, bolt-on neck, avodire solid body and wings, and there is absolutely no discernable difference in the quality of tone or feel between the two (besides the fretless tone, of course).

All that you are "giving up" in a lower-priced Smith is the labor and materials required for the higher-end models. All the love is there. :D

There are two kinds of bass players in the world. Those who play Smith basses...and the other kind.

:bag:

11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Actually, my BT-4 (circa 1983) sounds very much like a Fodera Monarch I was looking at.

The materials are the same, construction is the same, not sure about the pre but the p'ups are the same config...and Vinny Fodera used to work for Ken when this was made (I'm told).

I always liked Smiths, and now I have one.
    I'm going to bring it into Ken's shop soon to have him do any restoration needed and a set-up.

12. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    I got turned onto smiths when I saw this soul singer Musiq on tv and the bassist was using a smith and he sounded amazing- I later heard them do an unplugged set on the radio- bass no drums and the guy had the ultimate tone.... Every bassist ive heard since then using a smith has that unmistakable sound!!

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    That looks GREAT !!

Congratulations on buying one of the absolute best basses made !

14. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Lots of luck with your new Smith! A beauty!

I'm a 4 banger and Xmas '01 I came across a 2000 BSR-EG w/flame maple top in dead mint condition. I really love the quality and feel of this instrument. They are great basses!!!

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Word! Congrats on your new Smith. :)

16. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Congrats! Im having one built.

17. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Wow,, I wish all "lower end" models looked like that!! I love the solid quilt body.

They had an Identical Smith at a local Sam Ash,, they wanted 2600 or something for it....

1100 pounds is about 1700 bucks right? Plus,, they're probably more expensive in Europe because of the shipping.

Nice!

18. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Welcome to the club!!! I love my BSR5 "tiger maple" the low B string is tigh and clear.
    Enjoy it!! :bassist:

[​IMG]

19. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

My Q6 is my main axe, I think the B string is better but then again, the Smith is 34" while the Q6 is 35", also, I think that the Modulus is more versatile, it has Bartolini pickups and 18V preamp.
    [​IMG]

20. tru dat