1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I just learned the importance of silence (from Interpol)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JonW, Feb 5, 2016.

1. JonW

JonW

Mar 10, 2009
    Indiana
    I’m still very much a beginner at this bass thing. I was listening to this song, below, and the bass really struck me. He is playing something quite simple and then at about 20 second in, he skips notes. The silence… well, it sounds like a note. Maybe skipping the notes and having that silence there is even stronger than had he played a note. Very interesting. A new discovery for me. :)

This song is just generally amazing in all regards. Wikipedia calls Interpol “post-punk revival,” among other things. With respect to the bass, it is incredibly tight and complex (to me), too, changing lines at different points in the song. It all sounds great but then at about 1:23 he unleashes the thunder and it really thickens up. Cool.

So I looked up who played all of this, my latest bass hero. His name is Carlos Dengler. Apparently, he never even liked playing bass. Wow. :woot:

Edit to change the video dead link to a live one:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    PedroZappa and GrizzleTone like this.
  2. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    "Apparently, he never even liked playing bass. Wow"

Then I have zero interest for his playing...just sayin'.

3. JonW

JonW

Mar 10, 2009
    Indiana
    Interesting perspective. Mine is the exact opposite. I have hobbies that I really like and put time into. Yet I never get to be that good. (My bass playing is weak due to lack of time spent on it so far, but I hope that will change.) By contrast, this guy doesn’t even like playing bass, yet manages to be incredible. I am impressed! :)

4. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    It's referred to as a rest, it is a silence of specific duration. it is notated as such in written music.

Clark Dark likes this.
  5. JonW

JonW

Mar 10, 2009
    Indiana
    A rest. Never heard that before. Thanks. You learn something new every day. It looks like I'm already done learning for today. ;)

6. I saw them about 10 years ago and that was one of the best shows I'd ever seen. It was also the time when I was just getting into playing bass. My favorite song on that album is "Take You on a Cruise." The section at the 2 minute mark blew my mind when they played it live.

7. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Carlos Dengler is my all time favorite bass player.

8. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Terrifying.

9. JonW

JonW

Mar 10, 2009
    Indiana
    Cool! I bet their shows are great. Perhaps a wall of sound. I’ve got to get an album or two of theirs and dive a bit deeper into the music.

I now understand why. I have become a fan. :)

Oh come on. I was joking. Heck, part of my day job is in education. Did you not notice the winky face at the end? Perhaps some reading comprehension education is in order for you. ;)
    Notice the winky face here, too. I am joking! :)

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  10. Turn On The Bright Lights and Antics are my favorites. I haven't listened to their newer stuff as much but those two albums are great.

11. Photobassist

Photobassist

Dec 18, 2010
    Japan
    Too bad that video is blocked in Japan:(

12. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    :beaver:

13. JonW

JonW

Mar 10, 2009
    Indiana
    Cool. I have been listening to clips and think that Antics will be the first CD I buy.

You replied with only an emoticon of a rodent. I don’t even know what that means. :) ;)

Actually, it seems to be blocked here in the US now, too. Let’s see if I can post the same song but from a different video…

Photobassist and mbelue like this.