1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Just Played For Christian McBride

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by funkyfretless, Apr 30, 2010.

1. funkyfretless

funkyfretless

Jan 15, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    thats right folks.....

i was informed yesterday that christian was going to be at the gig i was playing at for a cigar promotion. i was running late due to traffic and i get there and set up with about 5 minutes until the hit and i saw him on the other side of the patio smokin a cigar. prior to this we met at a clinic a few months back at gsu. so when we started he walked over and gave me a big nod. as soon as this happened i froze... :) the first song was horrible on my part. i flipped the b section in jordu and started on the ii v in Eb. then, he walked over and said in a cool way..... "G7" and i fell straight on my feet.

after that fiasco, i caught my breathe, relaxed, and told myself that he was just a guy and no one special. after that, the night went smoothly with a few bumps here and there but nothing major.

anyway, he came up and sat in on a few tunes and killed them obviously. then the drummer took a break to eat and he came up and sat in on drums... :) the gig kept on gettin better and better. i called stablemates and he gave a smile and nodded his head.

throughout the night, we hung out in between breaks and had a great time and drank some nice beer and smoked a cigar.

this was one of the most enjoyable evenings in my musical career to date. has anyone else had a gig like this... and if so did you make an ass of yourself like i did.... :)

2. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Jun 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Sweet! Sounds like your encounter went much better than mine. I was publishing a transcription of his solo on the first cut from Vertical Vision in ISB magazine. I showed it to him and he glanced over it for a few moments and then said "Yeah, that looks like something I would play." That was it. Then some freshmen coeds walked in and I didn't exist anymore.:meh:

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    It sounds like a great night, man. It makes me happy to hear about it, you must be floating.

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Congrats.

5. kmanley_29649

kmanley_29649

Jan 25, 2008
    Taylors SC
    Never anything that prestigious, but last weekend my wife and I went to Gatlinburg, TN with some friends of ours. Saturday morning we went to the artist community, and there's a bluegrass band playing. I strike up a conversation with the bass player, who tells me he's playing a King Mortone from the first year they were made, and there are only eight known to exist before his was made. Then out of no where, asked if I wanted to play a song with them! It was a lot of fun, and his King sounded a hundred times better than my Shen SB80, and now I'm determined to get one of my own.

Tennessee_2010043.

6. Cool!

7. Menacewarf

Menacewarf

Mar 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Was Christian McBride there? ;)

8. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
  9. kmanley_29649

kmanley_29649

Jan 25, 2008
    Taylors SC
    Not that I'm aware of, but you never know...:ninja:

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Met McBride last year after the CMB gig here in Parkersburg...glad I didn't have to play for him...but I thought he was a really nice guy.