Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I know I know....

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ImAGoodDuck, Nov 5, 2005.

1. I know I know, you guys get the whole figure out my rattle thing but I just want some ideas. So my whole ordeal is this, I have a rattle on my open G string and ONLY my open G string. It doesn't buzz on the G on the D or any G of any other string same octave or not. No other note rattles on the G string either just the open one. I have takin the bass to atleast 5 different luthiers and they just keep charging me for stuff that doesn't fix it and I'm REALLY starting to get frusterated, and broke lol. I have gone over the seems, checked the cleats, checked the existing cracks, looked for new ones, checked the tone bar, tailpiece, and can't come up with anything. Now the only thing that makes it go away is when I set it on its back and do it. Right now I'm looking for ANY ideas from its my bridge to aliens lol.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Endpin? I get a little rattle in mine unless I'm really careful about setting it and tightening it well. It only happens on a couple of specific notes, just as you described.

3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Either the nut slot is too low, the fingerboard lacks camber (scoop), or the fingerboard drops off just before the nut. When you lay the bass on its back its weight flexes the neck, causing additional camber and giving the string more clearance. Hence no rattle...

4. I've actually replaced the endpin, not because of the rattle it just needed it, but it didn't help. Its set pretty well. Ohh Arnold you are my hero lol. Its a new direction to try and turn and the nut is actually really bad on my bass and should be replaced. Could you explain the camber on the finger board? When I take it in again I would like to know as much about that as I can lol so I can at least explain it better. What is the solution for something like that, planing the neck? Sometimes, I should have mentioned before, that it is really audible sometimes and sometimes not so could it still be those problems?

5. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Arnold's probably right, but I would want to make sure that it's the flexing of the neck that solves the problem when you lay it down. Try playing the bass with your left leg pressed against the back of the instrument, or have someone press down on different places on the back while you play. That way you can tell if the buzz is truly coming off of the fingerboard/nut area.

6. Man, gimme a call. We'll set up some time and i'll try to help. No charge...I remember your bass the day you and your dad came over. Let's give it another shot?

7. Is all the hardware/screws on the tuners/sideplates/iron-mongery nice and snug? I remember a friend hunting for weeks to track down an elusive rattle, eventually to find that one of the small screws holding the shaft-clamp on one of the tuning pegs was slightly loose…

- Wil

8. I checked all the tunning pegs and the screws like that. I also checked my tailpiece and made sure things were setting right. I did try having my leg press on the back and played and pressed on different areas and the only place that seems to kind of quiet it down is on the lower right bout (if you were facing the top) on the top of the bass. Now there was a piece replaced from there and there are some cleats so I thought it could be a loose cleat or an open seem so I had a couple different luthiers take a look and they didn't see anything. Also it doesn't completely get rid of it and I would think that if it was some sort of loose cleat or open seem it would buzz on all strings or at least on all G's but not the case.

9. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Try putting a tiny scrap of paper on the nut under the g-string. This will raise the string at the nut. That'll let you know if that is the problem or not.

10. I did the piece of paper and it seemed to work, so it must have been the nut. Right now I have some gigs I have to do and can't take it in but when I have a break I'll be sure to take it in for a new nut. Until then I took one of those little plastic sliders that come on your strings that you put on the part where the string sets on the bridge and cut it open into a little U thing so it gets it a little higher. Thanks for all your help guys. You know what they say, ain't no buddy like a talkbass buddy cus a talkbass buddy don't stop lol. I tried givin you a call Paul but you must not have been around, its cool though thanks for the offer I really appreciate it.

11. That's weird Duck, I have an anwering machine and a cell who's # is on my machine.
    Send me a PM?

12. Well I spoke too soon. That didn't fix my problem. Thats really the weird and very frustating thing about this is that like yesterday I played all day without hearing it but then today its right back to loud again. Naturally its on a gig day. So I tried the raising the G string and that didn't help, any more ideas?

13. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I'm definitely not trying to second guess anyone, but have you tried letting someone else play the G while you listen through a cardboard tube such as wax paper is rolled on?

I found a buzzy tailpiece wire this way after chasing it until I had about given up on it.

14. speedster

speedster

Aug 19, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I'm no expert and definately not a luthier however I did have a problem very similar to yours a few years ago. Same string open G.

It drove me nuts trying to find it and I tried about everything.

Finally changed the G string out to an older one I had kept around as a spare and low and behold the problem was gone.

Now I don't know if it was the string or the way it was wound on the peg head etc etc etc. however the problem did disappear.

Many sets of strings later and I've not had that problem ever rear its ugly head again. The string in question was given to another bass player who broke a G string while on stage at a major festival in Columbus Ohio.

He was glad to get it and I was glad to get rid of it !!