I love guitar center... sort of.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by coreyfyfe, Jul 7, 2008.

1. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Some time early sunday morning my pedal board was stolen from my car. I assumed it was someone who saw the pedaltrain bag and figured it would be worth something so they took it.

Today, I walk into guitar center, intent on buying some new cables so I could start rebuilding my board, and while explaining the situation to a guitar center employee he stops me and says "wait, were these your pedals?" There in the glass case were my DL4 and my XO Bass Microsynth. I knew instantly they were mine because my DL4 has specific settings marked with a sharpie.

The gentlemen who decided it would be a good idea to throw a rock though my window also decided it would be a good idea to bring my pedals to guitar center and try to sell them. Apparently, they didn't realize that they would have to give ID to sell stuff.

Unfortuanately, GC didn't take everything, but what they did take in was enough to prove that these guys had my stolen stuff. The guys names were added onto the police report which also contains the serial numbers of the rest of my equipment. And, the manager of the guitar center put in a call to the other major music store in town (Daddy's) and sent out an email alert to the other local GC stores to be on the look out for the rest of these pedals.

It sucks to have everything stolen, most of which i wont get back, and most of which I have already paid to replace. However, my renters insurance is going to cover a lot of the cost since I was parked outside my apartment, and on top of that, I got a few of the pedals back, so I can resell my duplicates if need be.

Thanks for reading, I'm so overjoyed right now that I needed to share.

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Thats great! The idiocy of some people has some benefits. :smug:

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    good story.

when life hands you a lemon, head to guitar center for some lemonade. :eyebrow::D

4. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    Awesome story. I hope those bas***ds get caught.

5. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Cool man, I hope it works out in your favor in the end.

I gotta' remember to add all my toys on my insurance, thats a good idea.

6. Damn right it is... and if you're really keen, and somewhat rich, you can often get a "premium policy" that will cover listed items wherever they are - in your car, at a gig, at a mates house...!

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Man, glad to hear you got at least a couple of your pedals back....I'm not sure what area you're in but there are A LOT of robberies around here....it's almost always guys looking for something to dump fast for drug money. Good luck with the rest.

8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Thanks man. I was stupid about it all too, I had noticed a lot of broken windows recently and didn't think much of it until it was mine. The unfortunate situation is now since GC has put a stop payment on the check, when they try to cash it tomorrow, they'll likely realize they're caught and dump the whole lot before anything more can be done to retrieve them.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    also keep a list of serial numbers. i made one after a similar story on talkbass a while ago.

10. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Cypress, TX
    Glad to hear things are going to be OK, but next time don't leave your gear in your car.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I hates me some theives, may they not only get caught, but also a good dose of Karma.

12. sonicvi

sonicvi

Jun 10, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I love the use of "sort of" here. It reminds me of Demetri Martin...sort of.

13. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Always fine having good stories of GC :smug:

14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Another story proving that what's most important in any business is the people working there. They can make it a GREAT place, or a lousy one.

15. Grimoire

Grimoire

Oct 29, 2001
    Ålesund, Norway
    You don't have to be rich, at least not for the policy I have here in the UK, which covers all my gear (a lot) all over Europe. It's a must have for anyone who ever leaves home with their equipment.

16. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Good stories about Guitar Center are about as frequent as blue moons, unicorn sightings, and lunar landings. :ninja:

17. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Good luck finding the rest of your gear, it's a real bummer having stuff stolen from you.

18. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Thats why I keep a live rattlesnake in my car next to my bass pedals. For some reason the batteries are always drained and he has a happy look on his face...

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021