1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I made a Music Man Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by knarleybass, Mar 27, 2015.

1. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    Hi all,
    well I have been at pickup winding for a while now, I came up with a MusicMan style pickup that I am pretty happy with. I have it installed in one of those Sterling SUB basses... wired VOL/VOL/Tone

I hope you all like it

Howard

eastcoasteddie and Arvin like this.
  2. SirRolfe

SirRolfe

Jun 18, 2011
    Ann Arbor MI
    Cool stuff! The jazz alone sounds just a bit too thin for me. I definitely want to hear one of these thrown in the neck position of an HH though.

3. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Very cool! Delano does this too.

4. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Very cool!
    I'm surprised that the MM coil has so much of a sort-a-P-bass-like tone to it, being so close to the bridge. Is that due to its winding?
    I split an original MM pickup and the north coil sounded nothing like that.
    Your pickup definitely has quite a range.
    I'd love to hear it in an active bass....I just prefer them that way.

5. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments

Thanks Eastcoasteddie,
    a lot of it is in the magnets wire and how the wire gets wound around the magnets. I had it at the gig last weekend, and I must say i was very happy with how it worked in a band situation

eastcoasteddie likes this.