I met Doug Wimbish

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Oct 29, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    After taking Nick to buy his amp as you will no doubt have already read. We went to a shop called Johnny Roadhouse now personally I think the place is a Sh*t hole but they do manage to get the odd second hand modulus in with was quite nice btw.

Now on my was out I see this guy with dreads and an swr jacket and It looks very similer to Doug Wimbish, so I walk out the shop with NickTheBassist and Toasted, and I'm all like I'm sure thats Doug Wimbish and Toasted backs me up saying well Living Colour are in Manchester today, So I decided to brave it and walk up to him "Are you Doug Wimbish" he replied "Yes", I said "WOW I don't know if I should shake your hand or bow".

He then asked us if we were comeing to see the show and none of us we're I'd seen the support act playing with Hugh Cornwell a couple of weeks ago and they mentioned about Living Colour but I didn't have any money so I thought I'll let it go. So I explained about us all being poor and he said "Write your anme down I'll put you on the guest list"

BTW guys at this time I had my Talkbass 'Got Bass' T-Shirt on and he said "I like you shirt"

So we gave him our names and thought well we can give it ago maybe he will put us on the list maybe he won't be either way I JUST MET DOUG WIMBISH

So me and Toasted meet up later and we're dreading it we're thinking there's no way he's put us on that list, we get there mention our names and with in a minute we have our tickets. DOUG WIMBISH IS THE MAN, free living colour tickets.

Now don't stone me but I haven't really heard much Living Colour I know doug is amazing I've heard him play on some Namm vids, all I knew was they are Funk Rock and really good.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

THIS WAS THE BEST CONCERT I HAVE EVER SEEN I WAS 3 FEET WAY FROM THE MAN, his headstock nearly hit me in the face a couple of times.

He used his amber Spector, a white one both 4 string we think the white one was droped d though and then some wierd grey 5 string. NO IBANEZ IN SIGHT

Oh yer he played one song on a NS Design 4 string with Mag pickups.

I'll tell you guys more tomorrow but I've got to go wash the funk out of hair and clothes.

2. Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    im a big fan of doug wimbish and living colour for 9 years now, i got all of the living colour cd's and doug's stuff (solo album and Jungle funk) he is an amazing player !!

cool story, i hope one day i'll get to see a living colour concert...
  3. I wish I'd asked him to sign my spector rebop now. :crying:
  4. doug wimbish?
    white spector?
    free tickets?
  5. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yeah - it was amazing. Me and ste stood right under him all gig. I was totally blown away. what a nice guy - and he has the_chops.
  6. Thonk

Sep 14, 2003
    I meet Doug a few years back at a bass clinic he did in birmingham he's a great guy to hang/chat with very down to earth and very open

so i was really glad i managed to catch doug and the rest of the guys @ stourbridge rock cafe this monday just gone(25th) this was there opening show for there uk tour (they opened about 30 mins later than they should have due to doug having some problems with his stomp box setup....god know's how many boxes and toys he had setup but it was a lot...lol)

same as Tosted was at his gig in manc i made dam sure i was right on the front row planted in front of doug allnight my ears have only just about recovered from the hammering :eek:

They played a pretty smokin set(not to sure about the terrorist tune though sounds more a like Tackhead tune than LC)and doug kicked ass on Luv with his NS electric upright very cool indeed & as TaySte_2000 said not an IBANEZ in sight dispite doug having a sig model in the works........

id like to have hung around and had a chat with doug & the guys but my ride had an early start so we had to hit the road :(

if you get chance to see them on this tour GO you wont be disapointed
  7. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    that's probably the coolest thing I've heard this year. The stuff he did on 'Stained' really blew me away. That guy is one awesome bassplayer.

lucky b*stards!
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Very cool story :cool: I've been a long time fan of Doug's playing and inovation! The On-U-Sound stuff is great!
  9. I have been massively influenced by Doug in my formative years as a bass player - for my money he's the most innovative rock player out there - but obviously he's a million times more versatile than you're average rock/metal bass player - if you disagree (I know people in this thread won't) then see him with Living Colour and you'll be blown away too.

I went to see him play a clinic in London at the Bass Center in 1990 and I got there really early - about two hours before the thing was to start - I was in London on my own and just waited outside the place - when I met another (session) bassist and we got chatting. He vaguely knew Doug and when one of the staff passed by us at the door, my new mate starts asking if we can come in and chat with Doug, even help him set up. We were allowed in amd this bassist I just met chats with Doug and even helps string up his basses - I just sat there humming a Tackhead (his killer funk band at the time) tune and Doug turns to me and says - "Oh, you like that song?" and I said "yeah the bass line is awesome".

Later that night during the clinic, which was just brilliant, Doug suddenly says he's going to try something new and program a tune live on stage - just for a laugh. He gets a really fast funk beat going on the drum machine, then when he's happy, gets on the mic and says "This is a song for this guy, who wanted here 'Nobody To Somebody'," I realised this was me - I was sitting in the front row and I put my hand up, and Doug goes, "Yeah YOU! This is for you man..." then he just launches in to this badasss version of this tune - and afterwards looks at me and goes "That was for you man..."

I was utterly speechless afterwards - I taped the show on a little Dictaphone and used it as my practice tape for the next five years or more - it was a truly life changing night for me.

Doug Rocks.
  10. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Can you transfer it to Mp3's for us, cos you love us so :D
  11. Great Doug Wimbish story!!!... He is one of my Idols!!!... I got to see him last year in New York when Living Colour was opening for King Crimson... like you said all Spectors and not a Ibanez in sight!!!... It was a great show!!!...
  12. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I think I missed that clinic at the Bass Centre, but I did see him there in about '94 - he had Will Calhoun with him (LC drummer) and proceeded to lay down some awesome bass grooves, amusing gig anecdotes (including a particularly blatant dig at Madonna and a funny one about how he got the Mick Jagger gig) and some cool multi-layered stuff with his effects and digital delays. He showed off all his crazy techniques, from various kinds of slapping (thumb, fingertips, flamenco-style) to playing the bass with a miniature jam jar (!). He also jammed with another guy whose name escapes me, but he was memorable for two reasons, one for his cool Marcus-style slapping, and two, for having a small Marmite jar stuck to his bass! I got a pic taken with Doug afterwards and we had a little banter. Musically, the highlight had to be this amazing little Jeff Beck-style instrumental he put together on the fly, compete with soaring "guitar" solo thanks to his Whammy pedal.

Doug is seriously amazing - I see some well-known bassists and think to myself, "I can do that", but what he can do is in another league to almost anyone else out there, he really is on another level with his musicality, technique and use of effects and sounds, and he's a damn nice guy to boot. I identify with someone like Doug far more than I do with the Vic Wootens of this world.

Incidentally, it's been years since the Bass Centre put on any clinics. I met some great bassists at those clinics, including Doug, Billy Sheehan and Gary Willis. They really should start putting them on again! :)

Russ :bassist:
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That is really really cool. I'm diggin' the Doug stories... he's so damn good I always assumed he'd be a ego-big shot kinda guy. Living Colour are amazing, Doug and Muzz are two of the best "funk metal" bassists you could ask for. I own three of their albums, it's a shame I didn't see them live.