Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need a B string!

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Gorgula, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Gorgula

Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal
    I replaced the stock strings on my CR5M with a set of Pirastro Obligato's and really like them. However, I still have the stock B string and it has to go!

I'm strictly a pizz player so bowing isn't a concern at all. I just want to woodiest, growliest, meanest, (etc.) B string I can get. Should I just go with an Obligato B or what? I realize this is HIGHLY subjective but I'd like to get as much input as possible since this one string is probably going to cost in the neighborhood of $70 :( .

I hardly ever use the magnetic pickups so either steel or nylon core is acceptable.

Thanks!

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
  3. Gorgula

Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal
    Thanks Francois,

I'll look into that. The description on the Pirastro site sounds like it would work well.

Dumb question, I'm assuming 'H5' is what they call a B string. duh...:confused:

Have you tried these before?

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    B is H in german, and 5 for fifth string.
    I never tried the low B but the other strings, yes.
    I also thought of a Spirocore, but since you're using Obligatos, I think it'd be better to stay with the same company.

5. daHammer

daHammer

Oct 25, 2005
    New York, NY
    Hi Gorgula,
    If you want to try something other than Obligatos you might get the Corelli 370F B string at $71 ("F" is Corelli's designation for a more or less "medium" tension string). Corelli's have the advantage of being thinner than many other strings of corresponding tension and thread very nicely into the CR5M's tuning peg, as many B strings won't. You can get it from Bob Gollihur at http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/strings.html.

Regards,
    Edward

6. Gorgula

Gorgula

Oct 16, 2002
    So Cal
    Hi Ed,

Thanks for the tip.