Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need an EUB with magnetic pickups

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by bassmentguy, Sep 6, 2005.

1. bassmentguy

bassmentguy

May 15, 2005
    I know some people are going to think this a little blasphemous, but I'm looking for a 5 string arco EUB that sounds like a normal electric bass. I'd like both passive magnetic, and piezo pickups with actice elctronics, but the magnetic are the most important element. I've thought about trying to build one, but I don't have the knowledge or the tools to. I can't figure out a good pickup combination either besause the radius of the strings make would cause the distances from the pickup to vary too much between the strings and have a major problem with the eveness of the volume between each individual string. The closest solution I can find is using the individual bars of the precision pickup and angle them,but this poses a problem on the 5 string configuration. I've also read that there may be a problem with pickups not picking of the vibrations of a bowed string well. I'd like to find an independent luthiur who does simple custom jobs like this without charging an arm and a leg. I'm trying to not spend $2000 on what will not be my main instrument. I've thought about going through Wishbass, but I'm really worried about the problem with the pickup type and placement, and finish quality. Can anyone help me?

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada