1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need another bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbalou02, Mar 28, 2015.

1. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    I'm in a few different bands and I really enjoy having a low B string unless I am playing a oldschool blues gig. I only have 1 5 string right now, its a Gibson Tbird V. It sounds awesome and I love how it plays and feels, and it is perfect for my rock stuff, but I have a more pop style band that it's just not fitting into. At least that's my excuse for GAS'ing for another 5 string with more of a P/J vibe.

I play for drunks and tourists in the bars in northern Michigan. People don't know or care about what I'm playing, and I don't care about showing off but I like do like nice stuff that feels and sounds good when I play it. And of course like the rest of you, I also love to fret and agonize out loud about the right bass to spend my hard earned loot on. So hence my post, to bother you about your thoughts on the subject.

What to buy. How much to spend. Here's the current incarnation of possibilities: I have a chance on a MPG Level 5 or a G&L 1500, both sound amazing from the reviews I've read, but either will cost me about the same in cash and trade. Or I could spank my credit card for $200 and own a Squier VM Jaguar with a gig bag. People seem to rave about the VM's. I have a old Squier P that I absolutely love, its my blues rig. So what do you think?

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I love my Fender MIA Precision V. You can find nice ones used for about $900.00 maybe less. That's all I know about 5'ers.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I suggest you consider the new Sire Marcus Miller V7 5s, seem to be great instruments at an affordable price point.

KickingBass and scourgeofgod like this.
  4. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Used, play a few and find what you like. If a drunk molests it you will be less mad than a new bass for sure

5. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  6. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    Devon PJ-5 by Devon guitar in Texas.
    image.

7. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Gotta agree there. Tons of stuff available on the pre-owned market, including here in the TB classifieds. My latest not-new acquisition was a Yamaha BB415 in excellent shape. Definitely satisfied my jones for a 5-string P/J.

mrb327 likes this.
  8. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Now I'm not one for Fenders or Fender copies,but THAT is one attractive bass!Is that walnut?
    Do they make that in a six or seven?

9. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    He'll make anything you want.

10. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    That's a lot of dough to spend. The Jaguar model isn't my cup of tea so I am biased against it.
    It comes to favorite color availability between the mpg level 5 and g&l 1500 in my opinion

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd keep it simple and go for a P/J of some sort. Maybe a used Fender American Deluxe Precision V (it's a P/J) or a Sadowsky or Lull of that ilk if the funds are available.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually Nash basses are great for bar gigs, and he's making 5-strings now.

Nash-5-string-2TSB. Nash-5-string-olywht.

Not yet and mark beem like this.
  13. gnarlyWarlock

gnarlyWarlock

Dec 23, 2014
    Everyone out suggesting Ps and Js - so will I. However, do give the Squier VM/CV a whip. You will be astonished by the build quality and tone those axes irk out at their minimal pricepoint.

14. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    I rolled the dice on a "buy no try" used Squier VM Jaguar V...LOVE IT! It doesn't have a maple neck, and it needed some tweaking when it arrived but now it is a really solid player. No rattle, great intonation, nice little preamp action, nice tight B string, the J pickup really bites, P side does a fine job. Entirely giggable, versatile work horse bass for pennies on the dollar.

jaguar.

ptensioned likes this.
  15. "I need another bass"

Famous last words.

KickingBass likes this.
  16. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I'd get a Bongo :) There's very, very little you can't do with a Bongo

17. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    Obviously, I don't know the sound you're after, but I love my L1505 - that's the one you're looking at if it's a 5. I think that if you like the clank and grind of a TBird you whould get along with the G&L. Having said that it is anything but a PJ. If you actually are looking for the PJ sound, this isn't really it. It's more or a Stingray with a more "hifi" top end.
    Because of its more "hifi" sound, I find it sounds best into more vintage voiced amps as the combination of it with something like a GK would chop peoples heads off. But if you keep that in mind you'll get a very good sound and very versatile bass for realtively cheap on the used market (relative to anything else of this quality made in the USA).

18. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    you mean "doesn't have a maple fretboard" not "neck", correct?

ScarfFace likes this.
  19. jbalou02

jbalou02

Mar 8, 2010
    Correct. My bad. I like me a maple fretboard.

bholder likes this.
  20. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Nice! I'd love to try one out.