1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need help identifying this...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xiiix, Oct 22, 2006.

1. xiiix

xiiix

Mar 24, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    by the looks of this Fender, could anyone shoot me a possible year or something? the dude that's selling it says it's a '73 but after looking all over the place online, i can't find any other '73 p-bass with that pick-up configuration so was wondering if anyone on here can help me please? thanks a ton!

DCP_0993.jpg

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    they don't look like stock pickups to me, but i may be wrong.

actually, it looks like some sort of active preamp in there. i don't think fender was doing active stuff in '73.

3. NOISE!

NOISE!

Jun 20, 2004
    In your mind
    It's a Fender Elite P, and I think they were made from 83 to 85 or something.

4. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

an Elite II. it's from the 80's. 83 or so sounds about right. get the serial #. E means eighty, the first digit will be the year. i.e.-E3 means 83.

5. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Sono est omnia Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yeah, the headstock and bridge are dead giveaways.
    You won't find those die-cast tuners on a '73.
    Nice work, primate!

6. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    Indeed, it's an Elite Precision.

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Inactive

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Yhe tunners of the headstock are aftermarket the elites used to come with those sqare-like tunners which i believe were a trademark of some japanese fenders cos no other fender has them rather tan the japanesse moddels.

8. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    That's definitaly a P Elite from the 80's. Just re-iterating the above posts. There are no shortages of 70's P basses for sale so I'm sure you'll find one. It's good that you asked for advise here. I would recomend dealing with a reputable dealer. You will pay more, but you'll know that your getting what the description says. I've had very good expieriences with http://goodguysguitars.com/ . The prices are more than what you'd spend on eBay, but their not trying to pass off an 80's active P bass as a '73.

9. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Every Elite I've ever seen has had die-cast cloverleaf tuners just like on this one, which would indicate they're stock.

10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Inactive

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    You might be right cos i just realized that id mistaken the elite with the lyte...

[​IMG]

11. xiiix

xiiix

Mar 24, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    i finally got the serial number and you were correct...it's a 1983 Fender Elite II....thanks a ton for the help...i seriously appreciate it!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021