1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

I need help with Stereo P-J wiring!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mark Holiday, Apr 27, 2020.

1. mark Holiday

mark Holiday

Sep 15, 2018
    I've got an old Fender P that I added a Jazz pickup to in the bridge position. It has the original split coil in the neck position. I've also turned it into a fretless, not that it matters.
    I want to send each pickup to its own volume and tone pot and then to a stereo (TRS) output jack so each pickup can be sent to different effects/amps or inputs for recording separate tracks
    What I'm looking for is a wiring diagram. I've searched the net and I'm not having much luck. Can anyone help?

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Have you considered adapting the Rickenbacker 4003 wiring diagram off their factory web site?

3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  4. mark Holiday

mark Holiday

Sep 15, 2018
  5. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    @mark Holiday ,
    It seems you just described exactly what you need to do. What piece are you missing?

It's just two bog standard V/T circuits.

Thanks,
    John

6. mark Holiday

mark Holiday

Sep 15, 2018
    LOL, sort of, Just which leads go to which of the 3 terminals on the pots, where do the caps go? which lead goes to the tip, the ring, and the sleeve?

7. Use a Pbass diagram separately for each pickup. When you get to the output jack, both grounds to sleeve. One hot to tip, one to ring. I’d probably connect the split P pickup to tip so that, if you use a mono cable you’d still have that sound working.

mark Holiday likes this.
  8. mark Holiday

mark Holiday

Sep 15, 2018
    250 K pot for P pup and a 500 for the Jazz?

9. If you want. There’s no absolute. 250K ohm tends to cut a bit more treble then 500 K ohm. If you don’t like the tone with 500K ohm volume pots, turn the volume or tone down slightly.

mark Holiday likes this.
  10. mark Holiday

mark Holiday

Sep 15, 2018
    Thanks to everyone for all the help!

11. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    A couple of things I would consider if it were me doing this job.
    1: I would probably wire the volumes in Jazz bass style, that is to say with the pickup going to the wiper of the volume pot;
    2: I would link the tone controls up to the wiper side of the volume pots;
    3: I would put in a toggle or push-pull on one of the controls to link both outputs back to the tip, in the (likely) event that I wanted to go back to a more traditional setup or get access to the blended tones (hence the Jazz wiring).

Matt Liebenau likes this.
  12. I meant to mention that and forgot. Like @SteveCS said, add a toggle or push/pull so both signals can go to tip on the output in case you’re somewhere you don’t have a cable with TRS plugs or don’t want the outputs separate. I guess I did mention the P pickup to tip but I was going to add the switch as another option and forgot. I’ll go be quiet now... :D

Bassdirty and SteveCS like this.
  13. mark Holiday

mark Holiday

Sep 15, 2018
    Thanks for all the help. The Bass never leaves my studio, lol, neither do I! I wired it up straight stereo. It works great and does what I want it to. I can now record one track from each pickup.

JKos and Matt Liebenau like this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021