1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need more volume!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by need4mospd, Apr 17, 2006.

1. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    Currently, I've got an Ampeg B2RE with a 410HE. I was wondering if adding a matching Ampeg 1x15 to that setup would make a noticable increase in volume? Or should I consider a different setup? I'm hoping to keep it around $300-400 spent in the end. I'm open to selling what I've got to buy something else, but I do like the Ampeg stuff in general. A different brand 15 would be cool if it matched well with what I've got.

My B2RE was almost maxed on Saturday and I had a couple people complain that they couldn't hear me. I didn't want to push it much further. I'd like to be able to not worry about being loud enough from the low B string to the high C string.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Yes

3. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    Yeah, it would definitely make it louder.

4. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    You'll get an extra 3db from running the amp at a lower impedence, and you'll gain from having more speaker area, which means more moving air. Adding a 210, or another 410 (Mwaahhaahhhaaaa!!) would have much the same effect.

However, if the cab you're running now is 4 ohm, you're boned because it isn't safe/recomended to run the B2RE at 2 ohms.

5. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Its 8 ohms. The Ampeg 410HE + Ampeg 15E combination is a great sounding combination IMO. Just do it

6. Big D

Big D

May 26, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I used to have an SWR 4x10 on top of an SWR 1x15. I thought the 4x10 overpowered the 1x15. Any additional cab should be louder. You get the coupling of the cabinets (3 to 6db) in addition to the increased wattage output at 4 ohms instead of 8 ohms.

That said, I would probably look at 2 4x10's. I have since switched to an Ampeg 8x10 with a 300 watt tube head and it is stupid loud.

7. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    Ok, now I get to convince my soon-to-be wife that I need it! She said she can hear me fine, but she was right next to my amp not out in the crowd!

8. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    The 410HE + 15E is a perfect match. perhaps the sensitivity of your two SWR cabs was mismatched.

If he wants some balls to his low b, the 410HE + 15E would do it, but two 410HEs would not produce as much low end. trust me.

9. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    If the 410HE was a little cheaper, I would get a matching one. I got mine for around $480 new and I'm not sure I can get it for that again. Even then, it's a bit too much for now. It's also a few inches bigger than the 15E which will be harder to cram into my small car. I'm not even sure it would fit.

The thought of 8 10" speakers does make me tingle though.... :bassist:

10. YES! A 1x15 would be a GREAT idea. ;)

(see sig)

11. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    Cool, well then dont trust me. Skip the 15E, get a matching 410HE & figure it out for yourself. What do I know about it anyway? :meh:

12. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I also have an Ampeg B2R and I've experienced the same issue. I plan to add another cab to create a 4ohm load which should bump the amp up to 350 watts. My lone 8ohm Aguilar sounds great, but I need more volume.

13. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    No one has mentioned it, but try a SansAmp Bass Driver DI. You can get a bump in volume and have a extra tone control as well.

Helped the volume issue on my SVT 3Pro.

14. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    Are you running the BDDI in the effects loop or before the amp?

15. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I like getting input from everyone!

I'll most likely go with the SVT 15E in the end. It gives me a little more flexibility. It would be a tad easier to transport too.

16. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    Too bad that is a 4 ohm cabinet! And it's a bit out of my price range. And it's over 2000 miles away. :D

17. megiddo

megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas

Before the amp. Last in line in the stomp box chain.