1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need some advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by reasonbass, Apr 14, 2006.

1. I've been interviewing at gyms' for a position as a personal trainer. The first gym I went to ( a big corporate one thats all over california and its not LA Fitness). I interviewed, took a test and passed. Now all i gotta do is pass my background check and I'm pretty much in.

But while waiting for my test results. I came accross another wanted ad. From a smaller more personal type of studio. Where they just concentrate on the personal training aspect. I interviewed there and one of the owners is a guy I've know since I first started working out. And everything went well. And this would be my first choice for employment.

My problem is that. If they both offermed me a job, how can I let the big gym down? Without burning any bridges or being unprofessional?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I think that's a simple one really. I'd just say you found other employment that suited you better and already accepted that position. There's no shame in that, and I would certianly think they wouldn't be insulted by that.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I agree with Cheeze :)

4. You have a job you want more on one hand, and on the other hand you have a job that you may not pass the background check, or that may not offer you the job if you pass the background check.

Take the newer job with your buddy. If you had actually been offered and accepted a job with the big gym first, there might be some ethical complications. But they haven't offered, you haven't accepted, you're free to look elsewhere. If you have 2 offers at the same time, you're free to turn one down. In this case you don't even have the second offer yet. Don't blow the job you've been offered with your buddy.

I quite a job after my first day once. It was a 3 month contract assignment for less money. On the way home after my first day of work, I got the call that I had landed the higher paying permanent job. I went into the contract job first thing next morning to quit in person, but quit I did. Boss was so late, never did see her, I had to find someone else that interviewed me to turn in my resignation. Unfortunately it made me late to my new job, but I told them what happened. They thought it was gallant of me, I suppose. They were such dicks though, I was quite relieved to get out of there later on. One of the worst jobs I've been in.

Randy

5. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    There is no shame in refusing an offer. Remember, they're interviewing you, but you're also interviewing them. Simply tell them you found employment that was better suited to your current needs.

6. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. The reason I want to work at the smaller gym is that. They focus more on helping people achieve greater fitness as opposed to a big gym only caring about selling memberships and pushing supplements.

And I feel I can become a better trainer, by working with the smaller studio. They are featured in the Miami Herald newspaper. They are helping a 520 lbs obese male lose 300 lbs. The man has written an online journal about his experiences.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/health/14306724.htm

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Man, I wish I had your problem. I can't get a real job to save my life...