Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need some good Solo strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by mxr255, Nov 24, 2003.

1. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    I have been on a Spirocore kick lately, but I am not sure if they are they right solo string for me. I think I am ready to get out of my Spirocore kick. I feel that they have too much of a treble kick to them. I like the fact that they cut through, but I need a little more warmth. My last set of solo strings that I used were Flexicores. I LOVE the warmth and the feel of these strings, but I do not that their sound does not cut through.

Does anyone have any suggestions? What do the Obligato bass strings sound like? Would that be a nice balenced string? I want a little bit of a treble kick with some warmth. Does anyone know what famous soloists use? Thanks guys!

Matt

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I suggest you do a little search in the archives.
    You'll find everything you're looking for.

3. you could do your research...but if your in a rush , try corelli 360M's...thin as hell , clear not to trebly , cello like tone , more rounded though....nice sound....gary karr uses them on his 400 year old amati...(drooling)

4. That's alleged Amati.

5. what do you mean?

6. Many of the top experts say that Karr's bass was not made by Amati and in fact does not even look like the work of Amati. No molds, patterns or any other records have been found for a doublebass by any Amati historian. Duane Rosengard talks about this in his book "Cremonese Double Basses".