i need some help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jammybass, Nov 29, 2003.

1. jammybass

Nov 29, 2003
    ok i just posted a long one and had to restart so ill keep it short

i have extra money and want to spend it on my instrument

i have a dean edge Q4 and a hartke 200 watt head and 4x10 cab.

im looking to set up a rack but dont know how.

?: what is an example of a rack set up? what do you use? why do you use it? what does each component do? i just need to know what to get. not brands, but just what to get and what it is used for.
    i know some of the things used ...preamps, compressors etc....but what do you guys use and why?
    also, do you think i should get a new power amp if im gonan set up a decent rack?

id appreciate any help even if it is just a helpful link!

thanks a ton

2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    What is missing from your tone right now?

If you're happy with the tone you've got, then spend your money on lessons and instruction books/videos.

A basic rack setup is preamp + poweramp. You don't really need these because they're both built into your Hartke head.

Do a search for the "Show us your racks" thread to see a bunch of examples.
  3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Racks can be great, or they can be a pain in the tuckass. Make sure which one it will be for you before you start buying.

Advantages: Modular, expandable, convnient setup, can be lightweight.

Disadvantages: Expanding can get out of hand, gear becomes outdated quickly, can be fairly heavy if you are not careul.

People put all kinds of things in their racks. I personally rackmount my pedals, and use a switching system. Other things you may see could be EQs, compressors, preamps, power amps, FX units, power supplies, wireless units, etc. Go slow with the acquisitions, my son.