I need some info on a Tobias Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aroradrummer, Oct 14, 2004.

1. aroradrummer

Oct 14, 2004
    I have just aquired a brand new Tobias Paragon Bass in it's case. The only problem is, I'm a drummer. I don't know much about basses at all. I can't find much info on Tobias and this model isn't listed on thier current site. It looks like they got bought out by Gibson. Anyways, does anyone know how much this is worth. Is it a good bass? How would you rank it among other basses? It's a five string and it looks and feels really nice. But again I am very novice when it comes to basses. :help:

Thanks for your help!

2. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Tobias basses are now built and manufactured by Gibson.
    Mikes new bass line is called MTDs, you can read about it in the company section of his website. www.mtdbass.com
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I read some stuff a while ago about how Gibson closed the Tobias production facility, just about the time they were going into making those basses - Paragons etc. ? They've never been advertised as far as I know/remember - how did you come by one Brandon?
  4. are MTD basses any good?
    The King and The Heir Looks really nice. PLus their in my price range :hyper:
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Somewhere around 1998 they were supposed to introduce 3 new models but I don't think they were ever released. You may have a prototype or limited run instrument.
  6. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    post a pic im curious about this.
  7. Thombass

Thombass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I think the paragorn is the same model as an old model built by Mike Tobias, but I don't remember exactly the name of this bass.

Someone HERE have asked the same question as yours. Look in the messages, i'm sure you'll find the answer. I think it was called Renegade.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

No - I think this was a new, "Peformer" range and it's Paragon - not an obscure Lord of the Rings character!! :D
  9. Thombass

Thombass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Sorry... lol

I'm sure it is the same bass as the Renegade, there are pics on the newsgroup.
  10. aroradrummer

Oct 14, 2004
    Here is a pic of the bass and the paper work.

What do you think something like this is worth? The serial number is 10032.

I appreciate all your info!

11. aroradrummer

Oct 14, 2004
    Would anyone be interested in purchaseing this bass from me?
  12. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Hmm, you don't know much about basses?
    I would think something like this may be worth in the $100-200 price range. You may pm me and I can promptly send you the high estimate of $200 for your instrument. :hyper:
    (just kidding of course, this bass looks like a real beaut. If you want the real deal on it's history drop Mike Tobias himself an email - [mike@mtdbass.com]. I wrote him about a 1988 tobias I acquired and he gave me all the information about it that he could, very helpful).
  13. aroradrummer

Oct 14, 2004
    Thanks so much! I'll do that. I'm gonna email him. I'm still interested in selling it. Know of anyone interested.
  14. audioripple

Oct 8, 2002
    It's looks like is made in Korea. You can buy it from musicyo.
  15. aroradrummer

Oct 14, 2004
    I went to that site and didn't find that model there. Where did you see it at? The only info I've found is that Gibson showcased it at the 1998 Summer NAMM show. Which leads me to believe that it is a prototype of a model that never came to fruition. I've emailed Gibson and Mike Tobias to find out for sure. I hope to get a definite answer soon.
  16. Bruce Lindfield

But that bass wasn't made by Mike Tobias - it was made by Gibson in the late 90s, about a decade after he stopped making Tobias basses!!
  17. Bruce Lindfield

Of course that's the problem with valuing this one, as it does look like the Korean Tobys at MusicYo and these are very common and very cheap...:meh:
  18. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    The bass looks similar to the Tobias Renegade-same electronics, but different neck- that one has a "skunk stripe". the Renegade did not; and the Renegade had a maple board.

The Renegade was the entry level model when Gibson first acquired the Tobias name. They were built in Nashville; production stopped, and Korean low-end models were made and sold through Music YO. They are what they are- a decent low-end bass
    Gibson has re-intro'd the Tobias line as a high-end instrument, they look VERY nice to me.
    There has been much discussion about the first Gibson-Tobias US made instruments- Good, bad, "not a MICHAEL Tobias", etc. etc.

I own a Renegade, mine is superb in build and tone.
    They retailed for about !5OO, street price about 1200 when new. Current value for one is in the 500-600 range, a real bargain IMO- they show on E-bay now and then.
  19. Indigo

Feb 19, 2004
    Örebro, Sweden
    This is an old thread, but I´ll post my reply anyway...

I own a Tobias Paragon 5-string myself, and absolutely love it. I e-mailed Gibson my serialnumber and I got quite good info on the bass. I actually thought it was a Renegade at first, because it´s almost the same, but then Gibson said it was a Paragon.

I guess the thread starter probably not even reads my reply, but I´m asking anyhow. What colour is your bass? Can you repost a picture of it? Or maybe you´ve sold it?