1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need some opinions please.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jammin_Bass, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Jammin_Bass

Jammin_Bass

Nov 5, 2009
    I have a squire P-bass that I don't ever really play on. I have found someone who might trade me a Jay Turser MM Stingray copy. Has anyone ever played one of these, or any other Jay Turser products? I'm not sure how these two basses compare in quality and such. Any thoughts?
    Thanks!!

2. Well if you need opinions you have come to the right place. IMO.

Tursers like Squiers are pretty hit or miss (probably more so, but that too is IMO), some say they have some nice ones but every one I have played was pretty cheezy. I'd keep the P bass, but if it's not doing it for you, might as well try something new.

3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Try the Turser. You may find you like it. I do not own one, but have dinked around on them in the past. Like Lousy said, all the lower-end brands can be hit-or-miss. you may find you really like it, or you may think your Squier is better.

4. Jammin_Bass

Jammin_Bass

Nov 5, 2009

5. Jammin_Bass

Jammin_Bass

Nov 5, 2009
    I should also say. My main bass is a 5 string with flatwounds. I've been working on slap and tapping techniques with the 4 string squire. I feel like I'm always fighting with not letting the strings hit the pickups. Maybe my technique is just bad? IDK. I was thinking this MM copy might be a little easier to work with. I just need a cheap 4 string to practice some slaps and taps until I get more confident. Thanks!!

6. I for one am a lousy slap/pop player, but I find for some reason that P's don't feel right when I try. Granted it's likely not the fault of the instrument, but ifyou are trying to refine your technique, it is very important to be comfortable on the bass you are using. In that case it might be better to go ahead and move on the Turser.

7. Jammin_Bass

Jammin_Bass

Nov 5, 2009
    Yea the p-bass just feels weird. IDK why? I got the squire for free anyways so it's really no sweat off my back I guess. I really don't like the color of the MM copy. That's the only thing haha. I might just take it and do a paint job or something if I like it.