1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need some Rig Advice.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LazyZombie, Apr 22, 2009.

1. So I've finally decided to upgrade and buy my own rig. I've been using a junky combo for practices and borrowing others for bigger shows... but i have a feeling my friends are getting quite irritated when I have to constantly be using their junk.

Anyways. My friend gave me his old Ampeg SVP-Pro Preamp and a nice 8 slot SKB case... (He apparently had them laying around and said "I Was good for it")

But now i need to get a Power amp and Cab.

Anyways I was Thinking of getting a QSC GX3 Stereo Power Amplifier and pairing it with an Ashdown MAG 410T... But that's just me looking around.

Any Advice or recommendations would be fantastic.

Basically, I need something pretty versatile... I play all types of music, from oldies, and jazz... to Funk and Punk. I use Pick on occasion but prefer to play with my fingers.

I'll quit beating around the bush here... I have about 600-800 bucks... Tell me what i should get :) hehe.

2. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Wow I need friends like that. :)

Sounds like you have a good plan already and will have a nice pre/power setup that will sound killer.

IME you really can never go wrong with buying a good power amp, so if you think 300w is enough for your current situation then go for it, but I would suggest shopping used maybe to find something with more power that could double duty for PA use later if your rig needs change in the future.

As far as speaker cab(s) IMO shop for something that sounds good to you and that you are going to be able to live with packing in at 2am after the show. 410s are typically good "all arounders" but can be a PITA to have to lift and carry often when even a 610 or 810 can be rolled like a dolly. Just something to consider.

Anyway, hope my 2 cents helps.

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Carvin DCM1000 w/an Avatar 4x10 or 2x12. I think the 2x12 might be a little more versitile, and i know it's easier to lug around.

4. Yeah i forgot all about avatar... I was playing on my friends 4x10 a while back and i remember it being pretty fantastic... plus customization and the price on it... throw some casters and got all the portability i want.

So yeah, I think i'm going to order that bad boy asap.

410NEO.... om nom nom. :)

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    OP, you have admitted to being lazy but if you took the time to fill out your profile we would know at least what continent you live on. We could then advise you better.

I'll second the Carvin DCM1000 recommendation, its my goto power amp.

Paul

6. Sorry, I forgot all about the profile thing. I live in Orange County, California. So there's alot of places available to me out here... but i've had good/bad experiences with most of the places i go to...

Is there a retail stores that sell carvin amps new... or is carvin more of a factory direct place? I use to use my friends Carvin Stack 4x10 and a 15... but it blew out on one of his gigs.

7. The Head blew up I mean, it was ancient though. Early 80's. So wasn't to much of a big deal. I Don't know what he did with the cabs though. Might be nice to borrow his 15 inch for bigger venues.

I should of probably just looked at Carvins website in the first place... Prices are pretty reasonable, and I feel a lot better buying direct from the manufacture, anyways... Just always thought I'd have to pay like double the price on the stuff.

So we are looking at,

Fender Jazz Deluxe (Mexico)
    Ampeg SVP-Pro
    Carvin DCM1000
    Avatar 4x10NEO (Think i might go Orange, or Red Tolex)

Doesn't sound to bad for a first rig. Beats the hell out of my Fender Rad Bass amp. =)

Anyways, thanks for the help... I've always been a fan of this site, but this is the first time I've actually posted. So I'm probably going to stick around if you guys don't mind. I'll upload some pics when the stuff get's here.

8. Since you're so close to the Carvin store...which is just down in Poway, CA (Northeast San Diego County), you owe it to yourself to check out their new products.

The old Carvin bass stuff was really crappy. I had the PB500 with a 4x10/1x15 stack, and a friend blew it out, too...was it you? You prick. ;)

DCM1000 and the BRX410.N or the BR410N - neo speakers. That's a pretty nice rig.

9. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Crest CA6, or a higher end PLX, is what I would be leaning toward. The Ampeg probably puts out 1vrms or so, so you'll want a power amp close to that signal sensitivity. I never found any exact figures on what kinda sensitivity it puts out.

PLXs are around 1.15v and Crest is .775v switchable to higher I believe. Lower voltage input sensitivity is "more" sensitive.

The Carvin stuff is 1.0v from what I can see (the 2500 anyway) so it's probably a safe bet too :)

For a cab, something with a Kappalite 3015LF in it (or two). Easy.

10. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    CA6 w/ a cab for 800 bucks? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

11. LowBSix

LowBSix Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
  12. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    Another DCM1000 fan :bassist:

13. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    Bob Carver is a mad scientist and an amazing man.

This is the same Carver correct?

The guy made power amps during the heyday of stereo that duplicated the sound of the best amps money could buy at prices that an average guy could afford.

I was running a Carver power amp with my HPM-900's in my "vintage, poor man's hi-fi setup" and I was very, very happy with that amp. It was also about 20 years old, never skipped a beat :)

14. Another Question : Was wondering if I should get a 4 ohms or an 8 ohms Cab for that DCM1000...

15. If it's the only cab you're going to get, probably the 4 ohms and bridge the amp so you're using it's full capability. Quality 4 ohm 4x10's can generally take 600-800 watts RMS, with over 1,000 peak, so it's a pretty solid match.

16. well got my rig set up.... sounds pretty good :)

IMG_0367.

thanks a ton for the help. and yes that's my foot in the right bottom corner....

17. look at all those spaces though....

18. You should put a hamster wheel in there. NOBODY rocks a fricken hamster wheel.

19. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Rack tuner and a TC G-major would be my picks :)

20. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Looks like you have more room to stuff a couple more power amps in there when you get paid from the paper route. That's what I did... Now they are full.

Attached Files: