1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I picked a song thats too hard... Help!!

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by livinitup0, Jun 26, 2012.

1. livinitup0

livinitup0

Dec 22, 2011
    Hey guys question for you...
    Im in the very beginning phases of putting a new jazz group together with some guys around town that are decent but definitely not pros... Myself included.
    I have a solid setlist but for whatever reason (probably ego) I threw Spain in there for our first practice and gig and although I think we're all capable of playing it I'm really worried about it coming together with 1 rehearsal before a gig. Drummer and guitar player agree...
    1st dumb move as a BL lol...

What would you guys reccomnend as a replacement tune? Something a little more technical than your average swing. (bright size life is my other instrumental if that gives you a better idea... We've all played that one before so no worries there)

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area. I'm a slab player but figured you guys would have a better knowledge of this genre.

2. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Who will be your audience?

What else is on the setlist?

Where will you be playing?

Are you playing a featured gig- like a concert, or are you playing a coffee house, or perhaps a cocktail party?

Personally, I wouldn't care to see anyone play Spain, even if they were more than capable of pulling it off...that's just me though.

I would pick songs that are "in your wheelhouse"- things that you are good at! They don't have to be technically challenging. Get some Duke Ellington on the list (if there aint that is)!

If you are bound and determined to play something technical- maybe look at "A Night In Tunisia", "Four Brothers" or "Cherokee"...perhaps a Parker head?

Regardless, you will do best to think of your audience and what they might like to hear rather than trying to stroke your collective ego's with a chops fest...mho, ymmv.

Pick something pretty! Maybe a nice ballad...like "Round Midnight"...:)

Respectfully,

Joe

3. livinitup0

livinitup0

Dec 22, 2011
    I settled on Dolphin Dance... It's a happy hour gig... 8 vocals and 2 instrumentals. Not a very huge jazz following here but the audience usually appreciates pretty much anything.