I played my first modulus today!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkSlap89, Jan 14, 2006.

1. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I went to a local guitar shop today after reading on their website that they just got a shipment of new modulus basses. I was thrilled since no other shops around here stock them. So i went up with my friend who's also a bassist and checked out what they had. They had 2 5 strings: a flea bass and a quantum. I normally play 4 strings, but that didn't upset me at all. I plug in the flea bass first and the playability and tone were excellent. so crisp and agressive! my friend thought it was killer too. The quantum wasn't much different, other than the looks. They were both way over my head pricewise, but it was quite fun to try them out!
  2. SuperSonic!!!

Oct 26, 2005
    Sweet...the best thing my local shop can come up with is a friggin' epiphone!
  3. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    The best thing that turned up in my local shop was...ugh...a crappy 600$ overpriced Ibanez
  4. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    Congrats on checking out the Modulus line. I love my Quantum 4! Keep an eye out for a used Modulus. You won't regret it.

5. werd! I bought my Modulus Q6 in 1996 and will never get rid of it.. These basses are built like bricks and sound great..
  6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    The tone is like pure dropkick to the face. Definately my favourite active bass.
  7. Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    I've always liked the idea of a graphite necked instrument, but every Modulus I have played just doesn't feel right. I think I have played about 4 different ones and they just feel sterile to me.
  8. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I really want a Modulus, and was actually looking to buy one but I came across a Nordstrand for less money. I didn't play the Nordie before I bought it, stupidly, because Im not really a big fan of the sound. Its crisp and clear and everything you can ask for, but I really like the compressed sounds of Modulus basses. But how could I give up a Nordstrand for a production bass... I just cant. I'll just have to wait for the funds to come so I can have two awesome basses.
  9. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Modulus are great! I've had two, a Flea 5 and a Q5. The Flea was a little too aggressive for me, and I kind of wished for tighter B string. I was using my favorite strings, which tend not to be floppy on other basses.

The Q5 was GREAT. I did have a bit of issues w/ the playability. I seem to be extra picky in that department. It also had kind of a pingy quality to the tone, probably because of the phenlic fingerboard. Had it had a wood fingerboard, I probably would still have it. That sucker had piano like tone.
  10. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Love my Q4. Looks classy, feels glassy. Currently my favorite bass to play (although I have a Roscoe on the way ;) ).
  11. I LOVE my flea basses, four and five. I masturbate to the tune of them all the time on here, as most people know, but I haven't picked up another bass that I have felt is worth my time. The action and playability is second to none, construction quality is top notch, mm mmm mm tone is amazing.
  12. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    I'm going the route of tictacs too, I haven't been able to find a bass that I like better(and believe me I've tried) than modulus.
  13. Fleas are awsome, Like a musicman with more bite and carbon fiber neck..... UMMMMMMM
  14. your giving me GAS like nobody's business! :p
  15. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    +1! I bought a Q6 last year and I haven't played any of my other basses since.
  16. Wait till you play a zon... i need a quick money scam so bad right now.
  17. +1

I loved my Quantum, but then I played a Zon... goodbye Modulus.

I'm never looking back.
  18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    To me, Modulus and Zon are the only ones I've played with graphite necks that i liked. I've owned a bass with a Moses Graphite and I've owned a Peavey G-bass (with a graphite neck) and neither neck "did it" for me. But modulus us a different story. I love the articulate tone that the graphite neck, body woods and electronics of a Modulus give and I'd love to have a Modulus Q6.
  19. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    My Modulus is in no way sterile. If you mean solid, crisp, fat, then that's it. If you want an old dirty fuzz sound, get a P or J copy or something. This bass is all about the hi fi and clarity IMO.

My Q5 fretless is way too much bass for me. It's out of control. And through my new AccuGrooves, I've yet to hear something as sweet as this. Plus, the bass boost is like have a subharmonic synth almost in your preamp. It is crazy loud and huge.

This will be my main live bass for life, pretty much. However I want a Dingwall next, but then a fretted Q5 after that.

I however used to own a 97 Flea (with the LP pickup) and really disliked it. Then I remember picking up a Quantum 5 at MARS (back when they were still open) and recall saying "I have to own this bass". 4 years later, it's sitting in my apartment, lookin' great!
  20. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    My matching fretted and fretless Q5's are the only basses I regret selling.