Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I REALLY NEED HELP/ghetto gear recording thread

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Jul 23, 2005.

1. ok. let me explain my gear situation.....tascam mf-p01 portastudio 4 track analog mixer (one track at a time for recording....don't get me started) and a Yamaha MG10/2 mixing console (4 digital tracks you can can send four different signals in at the same time and it handles it). my band wants to record everything live but for the life of me i don't know how in the hell to get a recording TO SOUND GOOD. we're all lining out from amps (vocals, bass, bass) and we're using ONE sm57 to record the drums (the drums sound fine for what they are) please help me.....

2. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    what doesn't sound good about it?

3. i notice that the distorted bass (with distortion sounds completely inaudable, i mean, just static) and the clean bass (almost as equally horrible, with farting) doesn't punch through like it does live. i also have a creative jukebox from back in the day, and i'm sending a lineout from my mixer to the line in on that, no success as of yet

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Your inputs are too hot from the bass. That, and maybe you're using bad tape. My $.02... hope it helps...

Also, try using a compressor. It helps, even though I don't like to use them myself much...