1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I think I broke my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flakeh, Aug 18, 2007.

1. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    First off, the amp is a behringer BX4500H. If i see any bashing behringer I will report you.

Anyway, I was playing today at a low volume, I was using a wah and an overdrive pedal. After about 15 minutes of playing the amp made a really loud static-like sound, similar to the buzz when you unplug the bass. When i say loud. I mean really, really loud.

After that, I could barely hear anything. It was so quiet. I tried raising the input gain and output, but it still was way quiet. I turned on my eq/boost pedal and it was loud again. When i turned it off, it was quiet. I tried using it with effects and it sounded horrid. it was so dull and just crappy. It also distorted with no effects.

What could this problem be? Could the pre-amp be broken?

Its still under warranty, But i wanna know hwats wrong before i return it.

:help: :help:

EDIT!!! The bass is PASSIVE so replacing the batteries won't do anything

2. I think U can test the power amp if yr amp has an FX loop or power amp in/out config. AFAIK-plugging into the fx loop return will bypass the preamp....so if U got master vol then ...power amp OK!
    All I can think of.
    No bashing here-I know of ONE guy here who's used a Beh. 300w bass head for A FEW yrs with NO probs. I also know a cuppla others who have used the 300w & 450w bass heads & have had nuthin BUT probs !!

3. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I will try that tonite.

BTw what does AFAIK Mean?

4. *** does that mean. To who?! The Behringer police?! Nice way to ask for help dude. Assume the worst and come out making threats... Well, if you report me then I'm gonna go tell my mommy.

I would like to tell you what I think is wrong... but I don't want the MIB to show up at the door so I think I will keep my yap shut.

Long live freedom of speech! :hyper:

Thanks,
    Ox,

5. BEHRINGER SUCKS!!!!!:bag:

6. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Dear Mr.douch├ębag,

How would bashing behringer be productive in helping my cause?I stated that, becuase, IMO pretty much every behringer related thread has come out to be a behringer-bash-fest. I have a problem i want to be resolved, bashing the company won't make my amp work again, now will it? If it did, I'd be running 'round town naked screaming 'behringer sucks!'.

I don't wanna hear your opinions on behringer, I already know them. I want a remedy to this problem.

Sincerely,
    Flakeh

7. That was pretty funny, but the last name is Johnson. Now... did I ever say Behringer sucks? No. Looks like you did though. Go look at any of my posts... I have always been neutral on the subject.

Can you please tell me my opinions on Behringer... you claim you know them? I never stated them because I don't have any. I never used the stuff. I don't think Behringer sucks... but your attitude does. Grow up.

If you were referring to that piece... I actually had CONSTRUCTIVE advice, but your attitude is forcing me to keep it to myself. Way to jump to conclusions again Sherlock.

Ox.

8. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada

You were implying negativity towards behringer. I was generalizing the overall opinion of many on this forum with what I said

Hmm, If i didn't know any better, it would look too me as your implying the problem is that its a behringer.

9. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Sorry but I've gotta agree with Flakeh on this, the whole point of putting that disclaimer up the top was to stop the classic Behringer arguments starting. The thread barely gets past 7 replies and already someone has decided to start an argument. Pathetic...

10. +1000000000000000000000000000000000000000

11. Not at all. Bad things happen to even high end stuff. Happens all the time with everything! I am pretty sure that the last thing that is wrong with your amp in the name sticker. I'll give you hint... why do you think your boost pedal helps? Think of the entire signal chain.

BTW, as a generalization don't generalize. That is what my original point was about. You came out swingin'!

Good luck,
    Ox.

12. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I took the boost out of the equation.along with every effect, and my bass. narrowed it down to maybe preamp?

13. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    o christ its just like a GK backline thread...

14. That is my bet. The boost is just acting like a pre raising the signal to where the power stage can use it. That is why things work with the boost in the chain. The preamp's gain has gone the way of the dodo. May be something as simple as a voltage regulator, but if it is under warranty, who cares... send it back!

Can we be friends now?! :crying:

Ox.

15. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Aww shucks, lets stop this feudin' and afussin'

16. Hey... I cleaned up my mess! Nothing to see here... move on.

Ox.

17. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    My post was before you cleaned up your mess. :confused: Anywho, thank you for doing so. :smug:

18. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    what a fantastic person. :)

19. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    If the problem is in the preamp, it could be a dodgy gain control pot or input jack (the parts themselves, or the solder joints could be at fault). I fixed a friend's keyboard amp where direct impact to the input gain pot caused the resistive element to crack, causing the most bewildering of symptoms.

If it's in the power amp, discontinue testing before you damage a speaker.

20. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    I think you should buy a real amp.