1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I turned my 6 string 4 string temporarily

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PERDZOMBIE, Jun 28, 2018.

1. PERDZOMBIE

PERDZOMBIE

Apr 15, 2017
    So as the title says i put 4 strings in the middle and took the tuners out of the bass for the b and c (so it doesn't buzz the keys) I did this because the only 4 string i have sucks and is not setup here is a picture of the headstock Snapchat-1975195053.
    I just want to know if anyone has a way i can quit the bridge saddles from buzzing without removing them. Thank you in advance :)

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You have a 4 that needs a setup, so you did things to your 6 that will make it need a setup. In the very least a major truss rod adjustment. I don't see how this is a solution to anything. Why didn't you just play the 6 as it was and avoid the B and C?

The way to prevent the bridge saddles from buzzing is to put those two strings back on. Don't play them if you don't need them.

Anachronism, Lobster11 and Luciferiad like this.
  3. Yeah, I normally just glide on by stuff like this, but you really made a lot of extra work for yourself here, man.

Lobster11 likes this.
  4. PERDZOMBIE

PERDZOMBIE

Apr 15, 2017
    Dudes i just realized what i did i was so tired last night and just did it and besides those saddles nothing really buzzes or is out of tune and it already needed a truss rod adjustment there was a pretty significant bow in the neck but still playable now there is a very lesser bow in the neck and virtually no out of tune notes

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  5. lz4005 likes this.
  6. PERDZOMBIE

PERDZOMBIE

Apr 15, 2017
  7. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Lesson to be learned here: Any time you are THAT tired is a terrible time to make decisions about -- much less attempt to do -- major modifications of your bass. Or to post about it.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  8. PERDZOMBIE

PERDZOMBIE

Apr 15, 2017
    i mean i can just put the tuners back on and I havent thrown away the strings

9. Short version: adjust each half of the neck for correct relief. Look in the repair forum, there’s a couple of threads about dual truss rods.

Tips for setting up a dual truss rod neck?