1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want to be a luthier!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Levarioj, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Levarioj

Levarioj

Mar 30, 2009
    Denton, TX
    Hello,
    This is my first time here and I'm excited to join talkbass.com. I have been playing bass for 8 years now and the itch to build has come over me. I want to learn how to build basses! I am asking for your advice on learning tools (i.e. dvds,books) that I can purchase to get me started. I would prefer DVDs, but either one will be awesome. Thanks for you help!

2. rootshock

rootshock

Feb 17, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Why not start by constructing a kit from say Warmoth? Get one of the unfinished bodies, route it for pickups, stain the body, etc. Maybe even contour the body to your liking... should give you an idea if you like the hobby w/o diving in to deep to start.

If you like it, take a wood working class either at your community college, or thru a local private group instructor.

3. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    Jayda custom basses, builder
    Have a look through the stickies. Quite a lot of info there.
    I highly recommend Melvyn Hiscock's "Build your own electric guitar" as a starting point. Read that, design a bass or 2, build one and take it from there.

4. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    You Tube has a lot of building & woodworking videos.

5. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    +1 this book is extremely helpfull!

6. +1, i would read that before doing anything. I built a Warmoth jazz bass last year and now i'm about halfway done with my first complete build.....takes alot of time to accumulate all the tools I've needed, haha

P.S. nice to see another Texan here

7. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    yeah i think i spent twice as much money on tools than i did on materials.

8. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Yep, you'll need a lot of tools and the more basses you build the more tools you'll acquire.

+1 on Melvyn's book. There are a few other good solid body guitar building books out there too.

I would also get a book on sharpening (The Complete Guide to Sharpening by Leonard Lee is very good) and Dan Erlewine's Fretwork Step-by-Step.

The book on fretwork is especially helpful as a huge part of making your bass play well lies in installing and dressing your frets well.

Also, check out a lot of builder's websites for articles and interviews and such. You can gleen a lot of information that isn't in most books that way.

9. Levarioj

Levarioj

Mar 30, 2009
    Denton, TX
    Thank you so much on the advice. I'm so excited to get started!

10. Whatever you do - start it! You definitely want to read up, but you learn even more by doing.

Just make sure to protect your hands, fingers, eyes and lungs. Think everything through.

11. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    and if youre unsure about any power tools... ask someone to show you and practice on a junk peice of wood first!