1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Watched "Dancing" Last Night - And --------

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, May 12, 2010.

1. OK - OK! I was only watching to see if someone good was on as the band, that's all I swear!

The musical group playing was The Gypsy Kings.

They did a song called "Bombaleo" - which had a great bass line to it.

If you've ever heard it, is the bass just sitting in the groove most of the time with a single/sus note or is he hitting 1/4 or 1/8 notes to augment his kick drum at the same time?

I tried to see, but they were more interested in the dancers - go figger!

I got an MP3 download of the number right after that show, but it's not too clear to me what's going on bass-wise- and I checked out a couple of tab-sites and it isn't clear there either.

This is one good bass line too! Very growl-y and grunt-y for a 'World-type" music. Perhaps I should listen to more of their stuff.

2. Hey, don't apologize....Dancing with the Stars is the ONLY "reality" TV I watch. It has real human beings making a sincere effort to learn something and improve while doing it.

Most of those shows are nothing but people tearing each other down. "Dancing" has something positive to offer.

3. You must be the OTHER person in Fort Collins who watches it. My sister-in-law is the other!

Really though, I don't dance unless primed with enough beer and then it may not be certifiable dancing either. So the dancing part is kinda 'way on the edge of entertainment value for me.

I just watch it to sit next to my wife for quiet time - that is until I see the bass player or ask her questions like: "Was that a half-note or a full one"?

She just keeps on looking straight ahead. Like I said - it's quiet time for us both.

I ask; she's quiet.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    When it comes to that stuff, those guys can get more out of a root, fifth and octave than anybody else on the planet.

It sounds to me like it's the root played up with the eighth notes played on the 5 below.

If that makes any sense at all....

5. You should check out the Gypsy Kings version of Hotel California - it smokes :D

6. I've just 'found' them and I'm downloading everything they have with just a few exceptions.

It sounds to me like Robin Williams got coached by the Gypsys in that movie 'Happy Feet' with his rendition of "My Way".

7. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I see nothing to be ashamed about in watching DWTS. What's not to like about hot chicks in little-bitty dresses movin' it and shakin' it in delicious and imagination-stirring ways? I watch every week.

8. Got a bunch of their stuff right now - and I noticed something kinda odd.

They are about a 1/2 tone flat on every song they do.

9. Yeah I noticed they were detuned when I was trying to work some stuff out.
    Unless they slowed the tape down in the studio cos it was too fast!!! :D

10. Cool! I live in Loveland (and I also watch it). Small world :)

11. When I have doubts about MY tuning, I grab a harmonica and if I can't find one note at least that's right, then I know!

Yeah - and that de-tuned condition may be the reason we are fooled into thinking they are bigger than they are. They really crowd the aural spectrum - don't they?

Lots of notes going on all at the same time? - or is it just the odd-tuning that keeps you guessing and somewhat amazed?

Something fishy - but they sound good. :bassist: