1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i went to the darkside today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iamchance, Jan 18, 2012.

1. iamchance

iamchance

Dec 3, 2011
    well last night and today i was playing my 6 string guitar and was really feeling it but it was missing something, it wasnt right didnt click with me. i went back to my bass and it felt so right. anyone ever play another instrument and it couldnt amount to how your bass makes you feel?

2. "Another instrument",what's that?

3. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    Yeah, what are you talking about? I have a weird, short scale 6 string piccolo bass of some sort though...

4. Tom_RCJ

Tom_RCJ

Jan 4, 2010
    Cardinal, Ontario, Canada
    Band is sponsored by Trinity Amps and Sennheiser.
    Yeah, I got one of those too, mine's a nice little six string acoustic bass. Wasn't too fond of it at first, then I put flatwounds on it. Sounds great now. I'd even say it sounds better than my gigging bass for playing full chords, with a pick no less. But that's only when I want to satisfy my eccentric urges for a few minutes.

But man those strings are so close together...

5. I know exactly how you feel.

Despite being somewhat proficient on both guitar and bass, on the occasions that I'm asked to play rhythm guitar, I'm never as comfortable or as satisfied than when I'm playing bass.

6. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    Aw man, I thought this WAS the Dark Side!!

You mean now I gotta go learn to play GUITAR?

7. Can we use that word on TB? I thought there were rules about profanity and offensive language.

8. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Guitar is overrated :p

9. curt basner

curt basner

May 11, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    How do you think I feel? After now turning my full attention onto bass, what do I do with the 14 Custom Shop Gibson and Fender GUITARS that I have?

Sad though it may be, I just got an offer from someone who wants to buy one of them (the guitars, that is) for $2000 more than I paid for it...and I think I"m gonna pass. Too hard to give up my history...

10. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I play a little guitar. It's fun for a bit, but then I get bored and play bass.

11. Tom_RCJ

Tom_RCJ

Jan 4, 2010
    Cardinal, Ontario, Canada
    Band is sponsored by Trinity Amps and Sennheiser.
    I would imagine the "g" word would be acceptable under certain contexts.

For example;

In the various contemporary agent noun forms such as "guitarist", "gui****" or "guitar player" preceded by variations of the possessive determiner "my", especially when expressing contempt or exasperation.

Usage may also most likely be tolerated, again in agent noun form, when relating user's interactions at a rehearsal, jam, gig or recording session with a third party who may not be officially affiliated with the user of the word, also in general expressions of contempt or exasperation.

That was by far the best I could do. I'm not even sure I understand half of what I just wrote. :D

12. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    Whoops sorry to be a potential mod target :D I will clean up my act immediately!

And to curt: a $2000 profit on a used guitar? SELL SELL SELLLLLL!!! What kind of history do you have with that thing?

13. Sixpack324

Sixpack324

Jan 10, 2012
    New Jersey
    I was "jamming" with my 17 y.o. son last nite and I picked up an acoustic guitar to show him something and I felt like I was going to mash the fretboard and strings into dust...

They're just so small

14. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    I did the same thing with my brother! He has this Ibanez Gibsonish-looking thing, and I picked it up during one of our jam sessions to check it out... felt like pressing air.

I can see the appeal of that to be honest, but it felt really weird, and I bet that sensation would go away as I adjusted to the "g" word and my hands gradually morphed from my manly working bass man hands into soft, girly, limp noodle "g"-tarist hands!

15. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    In Germany, we call those other instruments egg slicers.

200px-Eierschneider.

:D

16. cracked_machine

cracked_machine

Jan 8, 2010
    Bristol
    I'm always struck by how teeny tiny my guitar feels by comparison. I feel like a giant playing a ukelele.

17. curt basner

curt basner

May 11, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    @Saxn: the guitar in question is a 2004 Jimmy Page #1 Custom Authentic Les Paul. It was of the 'unlimited' run, which turned out to be only 840 instruments, I think, unlike the 50 that were aged, and the 25 that were aged and signed by Page himself. I guess the reason the person is willing to give that much for it is that 1) it's mint condition, utterly PERFECT, and 2) it is the closest to looking like Page's actual guitar I've ever seen. However, being the Zep/Page fanatic that I am, I just can't let that one go...

That said, I am firmly entrenched in the bass world as one can be, being the owner of one Fodera, and another on the way...

18. jthurston

jthurston

Nov 22, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Ha! Love it! +1!!!!!!

19. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Crazy talk! That's what that is!

20. Saxn

Saxn

Oct 23, 2010
    Nashville, GA
    WOW! That's TWO additions to my vocabulary in one week! First "bajo baby" and now "egg slicer"... thanks BassmanM!

I can see where you might wanna hang onto that... I'm trying to remember - is that repro guitar the orange (or was it red? DAMN my old brain) one he toured with for so long before it was stolen? I can't remember if that was a Les Paul or not...