Iamp 800 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bikeplate, Dec 5, 2004.

1. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Hey everyone. I usually hang out in the bass guitar category and seldom visit the amps section. Reason is, I'm very happy with my amp. It thumps, sounds wonderful. It consists of a QSC plx 2402, Demeter pre, Epifani 2x12. I really do love it.

Here is my dilemma. My band is a circuit band in the Northeast. We play a ton(160 shows a year) and at times gets old carting around my amp. Also, some shows dont require that much amp, to be honest

I have an Eden combo but its only 200 watts and its not quite cutting it. I've been curious about the Iamp 800 combo. Reviews seem good. Looks relatively portable, easy to cart around, not too heavy

Anyone here got one? Honest opinion? pluses? Negatives? Are they typically reliable? Any replies would be appreciated

2. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    This doesn't answer your question at all, but have you looked at the Acoustic Image Focus with 600 watts, and 4 lbs. Jorg Schroeder seems to love his. And I'm going to be loving mine here in a couple days when it comes in! I've tried the Clarus (200 watt version) and it's absolutely killer! The portability factor is just off the scale, some guys just throw them in their gig bag pouch! Carry in a small cab in one hand, bass over the shoulder, and still have a free hand to help out the drummer!
  3. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

LOL Seems I'm always helping the drummer. Funny thing is I know Jorg. Sold him some gear and bought my Epifani cab from him when I lived in Cali. Small world.

Is it a similar design to the 800?

Thanx again

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The AI and the EA have a Class D amplifier that is similar in design. The differences are a) the power supply b) the EQ and C) the power.

a) The EA uses a conventional toroidal power supply while the AI uses a Class D power supply. While the AI is lighter in weight the EA provides a great deal more headroom. The power supply in the EA also gives the amp the ability to "sag" that the clas D sesign does not.

b) The AI uses a conventional EQ while the EA uses a semi parametric. The Semi-parametric is more flexible but if you are not familiar with the use, it can be more difficult to learn.

c) Power
    AI: 300 into 8ohms, 600 into 4 ohms
    EA: 500 into 8ohms, 800 into 4 ohms, 1000 into 2 ohms

Both great products

5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I'd get the iAmp 800 and a Berg HT112. Having owned the Focus which is good head, I don't think it will give you what you want compared to what you're presently using. The iAmp/Berg combo will be more portable and will more like what you're used to. It will also KICK BUTT!!

If you want the best bang for the buck combination substitute the iAmp with a GK 1001RB-II. Works extremely well with the Berg HT112 and the EQ is more user friendly.

Of course if you want the ultimate, get a Walter Woods 1200 watt Ultra and 2 Berg HT112's and you will want to sell everything else. That's my suggestion!:bassist:
  6. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I'm an ex-Eden guy who went all Euphonic Audio (iamp800 and 2 - CXL112s). Great tonal pallet...the preamp EQ is very,very powerful. The 800 combo will be perfect for even large indoor clubs. The only time I use my second cab is when we do outdoor "rib-fest" type gigs in the summer. I've also had experience with EA's customer service and they are fabulous to deal with. All that and to die for portability.
    I'm not a combo guy but if I were, the iamp800 Combo would be the one.
  7. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Thanx for the advice guys. Mike Dimin is local and offered a test run of his amp. I'm gonna check it out. I really would prefer a combo amp, otherwise my amp is fine. Thanx again

8. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    That's good, you should check it out. I've owned both the CXL112(several of them in fact) and the Bergs and the Bergs are easier to handle,sound better, handle more power, and project better. It's funny too that there's always seems to be CXL112's for sale and rarely the Berg HT112. Don't get me wrong, the EA is a good cab and both companies have outstanding customer service, but I used to have a closet full of EA cabs and now I have only 2 HT112's and they cover everything. Good Luck!
  9. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Thanx again for your replies. I'm happy with my Epifani 2x12
    The reason I posted was to find out about the Iamp combo. I'm really looking for a powerful, portable combo. I have an Eden, not cutting it. I've had a metro.

What would u guys recommend other than the iamp? It has to be powerful, reliable, etc

Thanx again

10. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    So if there was smaller, lighter, cheaper, better sounding amp/cab combination you're not intersted because it's not a combo?
  11. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    FWIW - I gave up trying to find a combo that did everythig. It doesn't exist for me anyway.

I have an Avalon U5, QSC PLX 1202 and a Bergantino HT112. It's all the amp I need. Yeah, I wish I had it in an all-in-one combo, but none of them do what this does, and everyone finally convinced me that this rig isn't much worse to haul around.

I have used this with a 10 piece funk band, a 16 piece big band, a jazz combo, etc. It sounds great, is easy on my back, and very modular and portable.
  12. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    What about the new Aguilar AG500 combo's? From what I read, the second channel is useless for anything other than being a distortion channel. Oh well. Channel one is allegedly a very good sounding amp with Aguilar tone. I think the combo's come in two flavors: 1x12 (ala Aggies GS112) and a 2x10?

I would also check out the Mesa Walkabout Scout 1x12 or even the 1x15. 300X into 4 ohms. - Gary
  13. billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    Personally, I think everybody playing rock can use distortion (sometimes). However.....I heard from a dealer that Aguilar is making a AG500 clean channel only version, as a head and in a 1x12 and 2x12 combo. They're going to start shipping them in January. And it's cheaper!
  14. Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have an iamp800 combo and it sounds great and is very loud for its size but I found myself second guessing myself before packing it up to take to gigs: would it be loud enough, I wondered.

If I had to take a 2nd cab "just in case", then I might as well have not used a combo at all.

I ended up removing the iamp800 from the cab and usually taking the head with a Schroeder 1210 to gigs. I may at some point put the iamp800 back inside the "airhead" but only if I start playing a lot of gigs where I know ahead of time that the rig will be suficiently loud enough for the band and the room. I suspect that it probably is loud enough most of the time and that I'm just being paranoid. Oh well, half the battle is feeling confident going in....
  15. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA

I have an iAMP800 and a CXL112, and I live on the other end of the State from Mike (I'm in Buffalo).

If thats closer to you you can stop by and try mine.

...and don't forget the Winter Jacket when you come, every once and a while we get a little snow here that time of the year.

16. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Here's another vote for the Berg HT112 + WWU/iAmp/Focus.

Small, light, easy to transport and - if you have a bigger gig where you want more stage presence (or lack PA support) you can add a 2nd Berg (HT or EX) and *still* be small, light and portable.