1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez Atk 100 thumb rest inquiry

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tenju777, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Hey guys, so I recently bought an Ibanez Atk 100 from my local GC. I dig the look, I dig the sound, and I think it adds something different to my stable. But here's my problem. When I play I'm used to moving my thumb's "anchor" spot from back pickup/middle pickup/and bottom of neck to get different tones for different songs, etc. But obviously on the Atk it's only got the humbucker pickup which is more like a back pickup and the neck which is the other end of the spectrum. _c784080_image_0. So it just feels weird trying to hover my arm over the middle of the body trying to get that kind of "middle ground", which imho is where I really like the sound of the bass. So what would TB's suggestion be? I've taken the pickguard off and I actually really like the way it looks, so I was thinking I could make add on a thumb rest like some old Fender basses have and just use that. But I'm nervous about drilling into my bass and all that. Anyways, any help would be much appreciated!

2. Hnz

Hnz

Jul 13, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Stick a thumb rest on the pg with sturdy double sided tape - the one used for carpet and such.
    That way you can try if it works for you and if so, decide to drill later.

3. Itzayana

Itzayana

Aug 15, 2012
    Oakland Ca
    www.classicguitarboxes.com

I recently bought a thumb rest from this guy. Really nicely hand made made of ebony. He is in the UK but it arrived to California in a week.