1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez Grooveline bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jm5string, Aug 2, 2012.

1. jm5string

jm5string

Apr 16, 2011
    Was thinking of buying one. The problem is that no store has any. So if I order I'm stuck buying :-(
    Has anybody tried these basses out??? How do they play, feel, sound? Thanks a lot for any input.

2. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    Musicians Friend has a 45 day trial period. Try one.

3. 77stingray

77stingray Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Atlanta
    Atlanta bass gallery has one and they also have the new Gerald Veasley basses.

4. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Well the neck of the Grooveline bass feels very natural, since it has a oil finished neck, like the SR Premium and Prestige lines. If you have small hands, then you shouldn't fear to play it. You can handle it, my hands aren't big eather. For the sound I could say it's ''snappy'' and clear, but there is still some room for some punch and a good output. Just try one, you will not regret it ;)

5. @jm5string - You haven't added your location to your profile. Maybe people near you might be able to advise if a music store has one.

That said, I've seen one in the Vancouver Long & McQuade store but I haven't tried it yet.

6. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Probably the one I bought and returned. Absolutely amazing feeling bass but I couldn't make friends with it sonically.....I found it really uninteresting and tame sounding. I had it several months so I did give it a fair try. They also failed in some small things like where they put the input jack and making it 22 frets instead of 24. It's a good bass but for me not worth the $2400 price tag. LOTS of other instruments to look at in that price range. It may work great for you but I'd certainly try before you buy on this one.

7. I see. I didn't bother asking to try it, due its the high price. My wishlist includes 30 basses I would prefer, for less than $2400 (most are used prices).

However, to L&M's credit, they do stock a few Dingwalls. I saw a Bongo 5 (but I'm holding out for a 6).

8. UGLY instrument.

9. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Maybe but it's easily one of the most comfortable basses I've ever played.
    Function over fashion.

10. jamminology101

jamminology101

Aug 22, 2012
    Indianapolis In
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    I purchased a grooveline4 in the spring and it and my will lee sadowskys are my go to basses I play the majority of shows with. U will not find a more comfortable bass standing or sitting, the neck feel and playability is effortless, and once I lowered the stock action as well ad raised the pickups the thing sounds great. Once u bring in some bass and especially mids from the onboard pre amp....the tone will floor you. I hate to say it, but it is on par tonally with my will lee. The grooveline as with my sadowskys sound a little thin when u are playing true passive but once u engage the preamp, the tone will knock u out. Worth every red cent IMHO....

11. jamminology101

jamminology101

Aug 22, 2012
    Indianapolis In
    .....also I had put roto66s on and the thing was kinda tinty and snappy but Dr highbeams gave birth to a great sound. I never thought one kind of string could enhance/match up with a bass and make a difference....it does. Like I said the thing is kinda thin and snappy at first bit since the sonic arch pickups match the curve of the fretboard u can damn near raise them until they touch and they make great ramps for speedy sheenan like runs. Trust me....RAISE THE PICKUPS, CRANK SOME BASS AND MIDS ON BOARD, PIT A SET OF HIGH BEAMS.....u will love it. W/o doin so the thing sounds anemic and snappy w no character.

12. Whoa! Gotta be careful. There's been a thread or two closed for that. The explanation is in the stickies.

I think this would be okay:

I find that bass aesthetically unappealing.

Or:

If you like it, that's fine, but it's really not my cup o coffee.

Edit: I didn't create the freaky link.

:D

13. jamminology101

jamminology101

Aug 22, 2012
    Indianapolis In
    There is still a thread open on the grooveline that shows a guy vomiting in a bag in reference to the grooveline so I think that's worse/more offensive than ugly....personally I think they look cool and play n sound great to boot. The radical shape tends to the no gray area like it or hate it.

14. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    And chances are people posting the hate stuff have never actually played one so who cares what they say? For anyone who values balance and comfort the shape sells itself pretty fast once you have it in your hands.

15. jamminology101

jamminology101

Aug 22, 2012
    Indianapolis In
    Yup, and after a few easy mods w my screw driver and some strings they sound great too. I would say IMO but I think its a bit redundant since I'm the one writing this post.

16. Bought me one of these today, played it at the shop and couldn't part ways with it. It's an amazingly well built instrument, I don't think I've ever played a more comfortable bass...and boy it sounds very, very good.
    Two complains though: the e string feels dull in comparison to the others and the electronics buzzes more than I would like them to. Other than that it would have a been the absolute dream bass if: it was lighter and had 24 frets.