1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez gsr200 mods?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SKArface McDank, May 17, 2011.

1. SKArface McDank

SKArface McDank

May 13, 2011
    I have an older version of the gsr200, that only has 3 knobs. 1 vol 2 tone

What are some useful cheap mods I could do to a cheap bass?

I kind of want to add a pickup selector, but I dont know if itll be worth it, what do you think?

2. Raptor0427

Raptor0427

Mar 27, 2011
    POCONOS
    I have one, I'm thinking about putting a Kahler tremolo bridge on it. I figure it's a good bass to experiment on since I have nothing invested in it. Mine has a nice fat sound but the tone is nothing great.

3. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I modified mine with a volume/blend/tone configuration.

4. SKArface McDank

SKArface McDank

May 13, 2011
    do you know where I could find a schem for that? I was thinking I would do that before drilling a whole for a selector switch

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Wiring Diagram

Make sure you wire the blend up the right way. You have to measure from the center lug to the outside two, and the one with the highest resistance goes to ground. The other deck will be the opposite.

6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Delano pickups, Noll 4-band preamp, custom chrome paint job, black Kahler trem bridge, black Gotoh Res-O-Lites, recessed Dunlop straplocks, Circle K strings (.254 - .166 - .124 - .092 for Subcontra Drop-D), and an Italia black leather strap.

Just my two cents, of course.

7. SKArface McDank

SKArface McDank

May 13, 2011
    I didnt really want to replace everything on it, I actually dont want to replace anything.. I just want to do some electrical mods

it's a $50 bass, Id rather save cash to get a better bass If i want to later on

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    How about a series/parallel switch? Maybe phase inversion for the out-of-phase effect? Killswitches are always fun.

9. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
    Your current controls are VVT not VTT btw.

My first bass was a GSR 200, I thought it was junk and wanted real bad to get a "real" bass. Tell you the truth it wasn't half bad, and with a good preamp it would have a been a really nice playing bass.

10. 9re9

9re9

Feb 26, 2008
    I tought of selling it until I defretted it and added a spb3.

11. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

GSR200. First of all if you want to do mods get atleast a 400 (500 or higher if you want to keep the active pickups) Second, in my personal opinion GSR aren't that great and you'd be better to go with the SR series or BTB if thats your thing.

12. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    The first thing is to upgrade the pickups. It will improve the sound dramatically. The stock pickups are junk. You can then add a JFET buffer that would only cost a few dollars to make

13. gabrielvv7

gabrielvv7

Mar 10, 2013
    Louisiana
    I revive this thread because it is so intersting! Gsr basses are not bad, they are just made more economically for bassists who 1. Don't have a huge budget (like me), or 2. Want a nice bass for modding (like me too). Honestly, these basses are some of thebetter ones that I've tried in their price range. Of course, one has to consider that a bass is probably NOT going to be set up to one's individual liking right out of the box, that is up to you to figure out. But if you know what and how you're doing it, it takes no longer than an hour to set up.
    Anyway... I have one of these, the best feature: it is feather light! I have had it for a couple of years and have had plenty of time for modding. I have kept the neck p.u. so far. The bridge p.u. is a fender split coil (beast!) And the preamp is a Bassmods 3 band active/passive. I absolutely love this bass. Next on the list: bridge and tuner upgrades :)